Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
It can't be done. The rifle can only be rebarrelled in a caliber compatible with the bolt face diameter (and the OAL must also be close, or you'll have feeding problems).

The 760/7600 rifles were all .30-06 size on the boltface, and the .223 is WAY smaller.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Remington used to make a pump in 223 but only for a short while. I have only ever seen one. they also used to make a law enforecement model called the 7615That may have been in 223. You might find one on line at gunsamerica.com. otherwise the advice you got from above is correct.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I looked up what a 7615 is. It is a law enforcement version and is chambered in 223. If you go to Remington's website and look up special runs you will look at past runs Then find under 7600 models a reference to Grices wholesale and they advertise the 7615 in 223 for sale.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Actually, if you go to Remington's web site and look at the 2007 catalog, you'll find the 7615 in .223 listed right beside the 7600. It looks like its designed to use AR15 mags.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
It seems the older 742 semi-auto had a run of 6mm or 243 win.I had a friend that spoke of his and how many deer he killed with it,that started me on the 243's,that was in the early 70's I think,I went with the bolt rem 700 ADL and kept it till a few years ago,I sold 14 firearms to get enough to get back to Montana,I miss the rem 700 243.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
848 Posts
My dad bought me a Rem 788 in 6mm in 1976. That gun is still the most accurate deer rifle I own. My dad chose this gun partly because he had had so much success over the decades with his Rem 722 in .244 Rem. My younger brother also has my 788's twin.

Now, I also have a Win mod 70 .243 lightweight that I won in a "heaviest buck" contest in 82. That buck was shot with my 6mm. :)

I never shot a deer with that 6mm that went more then about 10yds after the gun cracked.

Now this past fall, my 12 yr old son shot a huge (for this area) 8pt buck with that .243.

I know that ballistically, they are so close that a deer would never tell the difference. I just happen to like the 6mm better.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
The earliers posts are right about converting an '06 7600 to .223. The bolt face is too large. And they are right about the .223 cailber police rifle that is now a sporting rifle with camo paint (shudder!). I have admired and used 760s and 7600s for years. I used to buy .30/06 760s, remove the barrel, bolt and magazine and ship them to Remington for .223 components and make about $800 on each one. I cleaned Remington out of extra parts in the late 80s. I had an extra .223 barrel with no .223 bolt so I tried unsuccessfully to convert it to a .22-250. It would fire just fine but wouldn't feed from any magazine I tried. Finally I talked to a man who rebarreled 760s and he said that the problem is that the 22-250 case is too tapered to feed properly. I rechambered to a 22-250 Ackley Improved case, which is very nearly straight, and now it feeds properly using .243 magazines. 760s and 7600s can be rebarreled by cutting off the old barrel from the breech end of the barrel and fitting a new barrel to the breech end. It's very analagous to sleeving a new barrel in a monoblock on a break-action shotgun. If you really want a wildcat on a 7600, I could probably come up with the name of the gunsmith in PA who does the conversions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.