Rebated Boat Tail Bullets

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by The_Cook, Sep 21, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Rebated Boat Tail Bullets
    Has anyone played around with them? Noticed anything?

2. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

Their only real advantage is at extremely long ranges where they do hold a very slight edge over conventional bullets.

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

when you say extreme long range, you talking 500+ 1000+?

4. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

1,000 yds. and farther. 600 t0 800 is considered mid range. This is one of those things that there is nothing wrong with using them just a matter of does the extra cost of them justify their use. There has been some research that tends to support a longer barrel life because of the angle in which the gases come of a rebated boat tail but again it is very very minimal. We're talking thounds of rounds here. You can actually get better barrel life by changing neck angle to around 40 degrees which moves the turbulence point back into the neck. this has been shown to make a fairly large improvement. Believe it or not if you have the right equipment you can measure the barrel wear difference when you index rounds in the chamber the same way each time. You can visually see the faster erosion on one side of the throat. Look at it this way.....you don't see many of them used on the long range circuits nor does the AMU use them. If there was a decided advantage to them those guys would use them exclusivly....they can have anything they want. I hope this helped, let me know if there is anything else I could help with.

5. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Well... since you offered, do you know of, or have any recipies for wild game? i.e. I'm looking for recipies for squirels, hares, venison, boar.. etc. you get the idea. By the by you wouldn't know how coyote tastes would you? Heck even better question, do predatory animals in general taste good?

I'm going to have to talk to the admins and see if they will start a cooking section on this board.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,

Slip over to shotgunworld.com( our sister site). In the hunting section is a recipe site. Check it out.

HWD

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Roger that huntswithdogs... very american indian sounding name :D

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Cook,
    I responded to your recipies a few days ago but for some reason they did not go through. In my cooking, I use beef recipies for dark game such as mammals and migratory birds and chicken recipies for other game birds. For feral pigs I use (duh) pork. For penguins you can use either fish or fowl recipies. The only caveat I have is wild game is extrememly lean and it is easy to dry it out. Marinades and bastes are often used as is coating in oil as in blackened/Cajun style when B-B-Qing. Proper field care is vital in good flavored meat as is aging and a good butcher can make tough cuts palatable. I don't think I'm much of a cook but nobody complains about my meals and most can not tell if I'm using wild or domestic meat except occasionally by texture.

9. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

oh penguin that's pretty kinky.... geeze so many things out there I haven't even considered eating yet. Need to do an alaska run some day, club baby seal in the morning, hunt penguins, use penguins to bait polar bear, use polar bear to bait killer whale...... mmmmmm whale blubber.