recoil pads

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by TXVAshooter, Aug 9, 2005.

1. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Anybody got a good suggestion for a recoil pad to replace the rather ineffective one on a savage model 111? I need to add a bit of LOP. Plus, being a 7 mag, I'd not mind soaking up recoil. The current recoil doesn't bother me, but heck, if I'm adding LOP, I might as well get a good reduction in recoil. :shock:

Havn't found a site yet that actually shows a pad fitting ther Savage 111, well not as of yet, anyways.

Thomas

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

3. I really like Kick-Eez Magnum Pads. They soak up a lot of recoil and it lengthened the gun quite a bit.

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

TXVA, you can get a recoil pad but heck, why not just get a PAST recoil shield for use at the range? When I am hunting, I never feel the jolt and since I am usually wearing heavy coats which add to the LOP, no need for a recoil pad there. With the PAST shield, I have a 1/2" or so increase in LOP and I like the fact that I can use it on any of my guns without changing the fit, paying for recoil pads, mounting etc. plus the PAST sucks up the recoil really well.

5. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Mview-

An excellent point. I'll look into them. The kickeez mag pads are really really longer, not sure I need that much. Wanted to add about an inch or so. That pachmyer might work, though. Pre-fits are great overall, makes life a bit easier.

TAB

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

TXVAshooter if you don't have the lenght you need from a new pad you can get spacers from Brownells.I had to get a few to help a friend get his right lenght,they also have different color spacers to give a spiffy look to it.We just used black and white and sanded it down to the proper size of the recoil pad,looked great and had the best Packmyar pad made.Drop-Shot

7. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

M-view-

PAST shield on the way, thanks for the tip on that, had not considered those.

TXVA

8. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

TXVA,

Good luck with the shield, you'll likely find yourself shooting it with all your rigs at the bench.

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Tom,

I just happen to have one of those thangs.Works well when shooting my 300WM or my Nova with 3 1/2's from the bench.It takes a lot of the sharpness out of the recoil. I keep it in my range box all the time.

HWD

10. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

MView-

THat PAST recoil shield, holy cow, what a great find! Gracias for the tip, I'm sold!! :shock: Spent a goodly dose of time on a 7 mmag and a little time on a 300 win mag thompson contender (thanks Robert!) and it ate up much recoil, kept me in the shooting buisness long enough to get the 7 mmag in shooting order for the season, with much help from HWD. :D

TXVA

11. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Sorry to bother you guys, whats LOP?

12. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: LOP...Length of Pull... distance from trigger to rearmost part of buttstock...either buttplate or recoil pad. And a VERRY critical dimention for us scraggly long-necked buzzards! Someone else can probably word this a lot better.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

13. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Okay cool beans, I understand thank you very much :D

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Cook the way I measure it is put a rifle or shotgun in the bend in my arm(oppisite of the elbow)and let my arm run with the gun and my trigger finger should naturally be on the trigger.You can lenghten the pull by putting spacers between the stock and recoil pad or shorten it by cutting some of the stock off.Thats just the way I do it.Drop-Shot