Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got a good suggestion for a recoil pad to replace the rather ineffective one on a savage model 111? I need to add a bit of LOP. Plus, being a 7 mag, I'd not mind soaking up recoil. The current recoil doesn't bother me, but heck, if I'm adding LOP, I might as well get a good reduction in recoil. :shock:

Havn't found a site yet that actually shows a pad fitting ther Savage 111, well not as of yet, anyways.

Thomas

· Registered
583 Posts
TXVA, you can get a recoil pad but heck, why not just get a PAST recoil shield for use at the range? When I am hunting, I never feel the jolt and since I am usually wearing heavy coats which add to the LOP, no need for a recoil pad there. With the PAST shield, I have a 1/2" or so increase in LOP and I like the fact that I can use it on any of my guns without changing the fit, paying for recoil pads, mounting etc. plus the PAST sucks up the recoil really well.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mview-

An excellent point. I'll look into them. The kickeez mag pads are really really longer, not sure I need that much. Wanted to add about an inch or so. That pachmyer might work, though. Pre-fits are great overall, makes life a bit easier.

TAB

· Registered
3,764 Posts
TXVAshooter if you don't have the lenght you need from a new pad you can get spacers from Brownells.I had to get a few to help a friend get his right lenght,they also have different color spacers to give a spiffy look to it.We just used black and white and sanded it down to the proper size of the recoil pad,looked great and had the best Packmyar pad made.Drop-Shot

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MView-

THat PAST recoil shield, holy cow, what a great find! Gracias for the tip, I'm sold!! :shock: Spent a goodly dose of time on a 7 mmag and a little time on a 300 win mag thompson contender (thanks Robert!) and it ate up much recoil, kept me in the shooting buisness long enough to get the 7 mmag in shooting order for the season, with much help from HWD. :D

TXVA

· Registered
426 Posts
:?: LOP...Length of Pull... distance from trigger to rearmost part of buttstock...either buttplate or recoil pad. And a VERRY critical dimention for us scraggly long-necked buzzards! Someone else can probably word this a lot better.
///olde 8) pharte///

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Cook the way I measure it is put a rifle or shotgun in the bend in my arm(oppisite of the elbow)and let my arm run with the gun and my trigger finger should naturally be on the trigger.You can lenghten the pull by putting spacers between the stock and recoil pad or shorten it by cutting some of the stock off.Thats just the way I do it.Drop-Shot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.