reloading .223

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by jcwat, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

doea anyone have info on just how "hot" you can make this round? i'll be shooting it in a NEF, so i'm not to worried about kick or chamber pressure. i would like to break 4000 fps +

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

JC, check the published loads and take heed of the Do Not Exceed loads. They are published for a reason. I reload my 223 and scrupulously check powder charges and OAL. Excessive pressure is not something to be trifled with and there are several indicators to watch out for that indicate you are getting too "hot" of a load. Even an NEF can stand only so much before something gives.

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

If you're looking just to get impressive chrono numbers, load the lightest bullet you can find. It won't carry as well as a heavier bullet (52 - 55 grains is about ideal for the .223) but it'll come out of the barrel faster. Will you get 4,000 fps? Nope.

In reference to your question on "just how hot..." - the max load is in the reloading data. Like mountainview said, they put "Do Not Exceed" in there for a reason.

4. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

if corbon can make a round that runs 3800 fps. why couldn't i safely go just a little faster??? NEF uses the same barrel blanks to make the .223 all the way through 30-06. i don't think there would be any problems. one big question is, at fps does the round vaporize/melt? and how accurate will it be?

5. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

perhaps CorBon is at the safe limit

6. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

Every rifle is different so you have to watch the pressure signs. Also you don't need the barrel walls to fail to have a catastrophic diaster. 4000 fps with a 55 gr. bullet in a 223 sounds very doubtful to me. I have pushed them well over 4000 in my Swift Ackley as an experiment. It has a very fast gain twist barrel to shoot 75 gr. bullets but I thought i'd try a few lighter ones. they crossed the screens well over 4000 fps.....but never reached the target.

7. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: reloading .223

CorBon has thousands of dollars worth of equipment for evaluating load performance, as well as guys who load and evaluate ammunition as a career, not as a hobby. They also have access to powder types that you and I don't. If they could go faster, they most certainly would.

The energy imparted to the projectile is related to the time integral of the pressure curve... peak pressure is only a LIMITING factor, and has less to do with velocity than the duration of the burn. You need a slow powder to reach 4,000 fps, and you also need something you can't get out of the .223 Rem - case capacity.

I don't like to sound harsh, but sometimes there is no choice... what you are talking about doing is foolish and dangerous.

8. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

you dont sound to harsh. i was only inquiring if i could reach
    4000 fps. maybe someone has a safe load that meets my needs.

9. wwb

wwb Super Member

If you want to cross that 4,000 fps line, you need to get a .22-250 or a .220 Swift and shoot 40 grain pills. Then, there are any number of safe load recipes available that are over 4,000 fps. There have also been some other .22 wildcats that have done it... check this thread here on ShootingWorld...

https://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=935

Like I said earlier, the .223 Rem just doesn't hold enough powder to do it - - compare the size of the .22-250 or the Swift case to the .223 case and you'll see that it's no contest.

10. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

well i guess i'll just stick to the .223. i don't have the money/need for a 22-250. maybe i can find a smaller gr. bullet. less than 40 gr??? that should push up the fps.

11. Keep to the publish loads. The barrels aren't the same but then again I am not an expert on them. Be careful. It is better to remain safe and follow the data than to lose your eyes, arms, or your life because you didn't. The published loads are there for a reason.

12. wwb

wwb Super Member

After a little digging, I found that Speer makes a 32 gr .224 bullet, and Hornady makes a 35 gr V-max.

There's darn little reloading data for these little pills, though.... I suspect that they're so light that it's hard to generate enough pressure for a clean burn, and if you go to a slightly faster powder it jumps immediately to a very high pressure - small bores tend to behave that way.

Accurate, however, shows a load for the 35 gr Hornady - start with 25.4 grains of 2230 and carefully sneak up to 28.3 grains. Claimed muzzle velocity for the max load is 3866 fps at 48,010 PSI with a 24" barrel.

You could try this load - it's the fastest proven .223 load I've found - I'll bet you get patterns rather than groups, though.

13. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

Re: re: reloading .223

If you don't have the need for a 22.250, then you don't have the need for 4000fps. The .223 wasn't designed for those speeds. The .223 WSSM doesn't even hit that number. A lot safer to get the caliber that will do the work, rather than trying to push the .223 to being something it isn't.