reloading .410 slugs??????????????????

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by jcwat, Jun 1, 2005.

1. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

anyone have info on reloading the .410 with slugs? i am thinking about getting an old enfield that has been bored out to .410. i want to load them as hot as possible. the chamber will take it no prob, pressure will be less than the .303.

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

JC,

Check out www.sportsmanguide.com . At one time they had some slugs from Russia that were loaded in a steel case. Much cheaper and a lot less of a hassle than trying to reload them yourself.

HWD

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

The action strength is not a concern but the hull/case strength is. One familiar with cartridge performance should know the hull is intrinsic to keeping the gases where they belong and require pressures to be in certin limits. If too great of pressures occur, the hull can split and send the gases back at the shooter rather than down the bore. None of the .410 hulls (even the Barnul) are designed for pressures much over the SAAMI specs so "hotrodding" them can lead to case failure which is not good for the gun or shooter. A face full of hot gas is not a pleasant experience from what I hear. There is little to no warning before case failure in shotshells, unlike traditional metallic cartridges.

4. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

i know the plastic hulls wouldn't hold the extra pressure. i found some info online about using either .303 or .444 brass. they would take the extra pressure no problem.

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

jc,

This is only a suggestion but.... If ya want a 45/70, then buy one. If you try loading these things too hot,someone's gonna get hurt. If not yourself,it may be some innocent by stander. Pushing the envelope on something like this can be fatal. Please reconsider what you're about to attempt.

HWD

6. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

it is not about wanting a 45-70. it is about getting some extra range out of the .410. i squirrel hunt only with the .410. makes it more of a challenge. every now and then i run across abobcat. one time a coyote top a hill about 50-60 yrds away. i'm just looking for something that will reach out a little flat than the standard .410 slug. ( tradjectory suck bad) not trying to make a 45-70.

7. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

sorry about the typos. brain going faster than the 3 fingers i use to type.

8. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

JC,

I think you're asking this little gun to do more than its designed to do. I understand the challenge because I hunt with one myself. To attempt shooting a bobcat or coyote at 50-60 yards and killing it is doing a disservice to the taking of an animal. I know that I've sounded negative about this but its how I feel. Please think about it. Maybe get another gun to hunt with,say a 22 mag or one of the new 17hrms. Shoot with iron sites.Still the challenge and a much more lethal round for the varmits out there.

HWD

9. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

i have a .22 rifle & just got the berretta neos 7.5 inch barrel. but just love to hunt with my mossberg .410 pump. maybe i'll have to get a 4-6" .357 to carry on my side just in case i see something. i have a ruger sp101. but barrel is only 1.5" good for self defense but not good hunting.

10. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:lol: Well, I can't comment on your .410 project, but it seems to me that anyone who uses more than their two index fingers to type is kinda showing off... :lol: yeah, I'm a two-finger keyboard burner...NOT!
    ///olde 8) pharte///