Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have info on a easy shooting load? i have a couple of boxes of hornady .451 xtp's. i know the 45lc is .452, how much powerloss (if any) will there be? ant help welcomed

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Depending on your bore diameter, there may be none to not too much. .451" bullets will objurate some so it isn't that big of deal to be slightly undersized. I would use the same recipies as those called for for similar weight and style .452" bullets. A look on the powder manufacturer of your choice's website should get you pointed in the right direction. Just make sure the recipie is for jacketed bullets as those for lead may be "too low" and lead to bullets or worse, jackets stuck in the barrel.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i figured that there wouldn't be too much "play" in the barrel/bullet. i was thinking of keeping the velocity around 750fps. my dad will be shooting these is his colt peacemaker.
(not original, he bought it back in the 50's)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I would up the velocity to at the very least the mid 800s preferably more for a jacketed bullet. I have had a couple bullets stick in the barrel at these speeds in the 38 Spl and it would be just as possible in the Colt. It is also not unheard of to have the jacket strip from the lead core and obstruct the barrel; this would not be good. The reason is the copper jackets is not as slick as a plain lead bullet which increases friction. Enough friction can cause the shedding of the jacket which may or may not stay in the bore. Even with a slightly smaller dimensioned bullet this may be possible as barrels, bullet diameters, and "stickiness" of the jacket can vary.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
With reasons like that,I'd stick to good ole lead! An obstruction would sure upset your day.

Uglydog,
I'll probably be asking lots of questions myself here soon. I just picked up a Ruger Black Hawk, in 45 lc, with a 7 1/2" barrel. I'll be having the last bit of "accurizing" work done this Friday Nite.

HWD

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Great posts here. :D I'm looking to buy a 45 LC and am not up on what's out there. I am looking for an affordable single action with a 5 1/2-6" barrel. I'd like the actual 4 click Colt clone version in a decent gun, but not too expensive.?????

How do you feel about using 777 powder?

All Ears...L2S

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I bought an EAA Cattleman version of the Colt SAA but have not given it a good work out yet. I swore long ago that I would not by another EAA product but this gun came along in a trade. Overall it is not an impressive looking gun but isn't bad either. bluing is good though the stocks are kind of homely. I see these regularly go in the $275 range. Othewise, I would look close at the Ubertis. They can range in quality depending on who's specs they are being built to but overall they are decent shooters.
Its not a Colt but Ruger has changed the frame size of their Vaqueros and the old ones can be had at decent discounts, as little as $350. These are very sturdy guns as they are built off the Blackhawk frame. I believe they are also the most common Cowboy Action Shooter pistol model if that is any help.
As for use of 777 powder, I couldn't tell you. I'm still working on my first cans of pistol grade Pyrodex, bought the first year it came out. I mostly use Goex FFFG blackpowder as I feel it is much easier to ignite and seems to clean easier with hot, soapy water than Pyrodex. I have some Canyon something or other that I picked up at a clearance sale but haven't touched the bottle since I took it out of the bag and set it who knows where. If you see a white plastic bottle with very faded writing, let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jcwat said:
does anyone have info on a easy shooting load? i have a couple of boxes of hornady .451 xtp's. i know the 45lc is .452, how much powerloss (if any) will there be? ant help welcomed

the hornady bullets will shoot just fine. for soft recoiling loads in either 250 ot 300 grain xtp try 8 grains of unique.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.