Reloading for 30-06

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by The_Cook, Aug 31, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Heya all, another question from The_Cook.

I bought myself reloading equipment for the 30-06 and have been going at it for a week I've made 50rnds of 160gr. lead cast bullet, with 18gr. Unique powder (recommended minimum). I've come to the conclusion that 30-06 kick is alot more than .22lr, and am considering shaving a few grains off the powder to reduce recoil, and build myself up to full loads. I know I can do this, but the question is SHOULD I do this? What is the minimum fps a bullet can go before it gets stuck in the barrel? Or should I just scrap the entire idea and suck it up?

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

Cast lead bullets are the WRONG thing to put in an '06, unless you have a gas check on them.... and even then, I'd say to stay away from cast bullets. The temperature, velocity, and pressure are too high for lead. See what you can find for a good deal on a 150 - 165 grain jacketed bullet and load them instead.

And... last, but certainly not least.... are you sure about using Unique in the '06??? Seems to me it would be WAY too fast. I load with H4350 and 165 grain bullets, at a little over 2800 fps, and H4350 is a whole bunch slower than Unique.

And, yup, the '06 is gonna kick a bunch more than a .22 LR - that shouldn't come as a big surprise.

Edited... I just noticed the 18 grain load for unique.... that sorta changes things. I'd still recommend a gas check, though. It'll help keep the barrel cleaner.

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

DITTO WHAT WWB SAID!

Now, if you load the 30-06 with Unique and at sub-sonic speeds, you need to use a filler.

Scrap the whole idea and SUCK UP!! The '06 is a puzzycat to shoot. I hadn't gotten nerve damage in my right arm from shooting until I started shooting 'yotes with my 416 Rigby!! :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink:

L2S

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: Don't know a lot about many calibers, but do know that we've (four shooters) run 06 loads through a couple Rem 700's and a HighWall 1885(?) replica... and agree they all have NOTICEABLE recoil. That cartridge seems to attract your attention even shot out of a heavy gas operated semiauto like the Garand. I love the 06 round, but do wonder why it's so much more unpleasant than the .303, for instance.
    Anyway, listen to the above posters... squib loads are probably not the place to begin learning the reloading game. JMHO :D
    ///olde 8) pharte///

5. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The 303 is very mild and is a low velocity, low pressure round. The '06 was designed to approximate the 8mm Mauser, and it surpassed it.

150 gr bullets in an '06 are relatively mild shooting. Felt recoil has a lot to do with stock design. Also, if you baby the rifle to your shoulder it will give you a MOTHER of a whallop! Hold the rifle firmly, but don't crush it, either. That 1885 HW should wake you up a bit when touched off. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

One way to get over the recoil of medium recoiling calibers like a 30-06 is to shoot full house 12 ga rifled slugs through a pump slug gun at targets for a while...you'll think the '06 is a plinker after that. :idea: :lol:

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,

I know that some books list lead bullet loads for the 06. Like others here,I wouldn't recommend shooting too many of them due to leading in your barrel. I WOULD suggest that you read your reloading manual CLOSELY. From my own experience,I can tell you that UNDER-loading can be much worse than OVER-loading. Pressures will go out the roof and there's no telling where the pieces of your rifle may end up.

If this is your first attemp at reloading, please for your sake read that manual closely. The 1st sections of that book will cover a lot stuff that you really need to know.

Oh yeah,If ya want a rifle that kick no more than a 22lr,this ain't it. Invest in a 22 centerfire of some sort.

HWD

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Thanks much for the input on my problem. It looks like I'm just going to have to suck it up =) Oddball question, why does the pressure go up when you reduce the load below minimum, more than when you overload???

8. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Cook,

It's just physics. You are shooting a bullet that is four times heavier and twice as fast as a 22LR. You have to expect more recoil.

Hodgdon publishes "Youth Loads" for the 06 using H4895 powder. You can push a 125 gr bullet at about 2600 fps. This should be pretty comfortable to shoot and still be adequate for deer if the range is resonable and the point of impact is correct.

I load a Sierra 125 gr SP in .308 Win for an old Spanish Mauser. With Accurate 2200 powder I get 2700 fps. Very mild and very lethal.

Accurate 5744 is another good powder to investigate.

Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Often!

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Reloading for 30-06

10. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

L2S,

It is the Guardia Model, 1916, I think?

Small ring Mauser converted to 7.62 NATO. I know that it's use with full power .308 Win is controversial. I didn't buy it to hunt elephant. I have other guns if I need a big one. The load I am using has a published pressure of 37,000 c.u.p. which is well under most commercial loadings. This load is consistant, accurate, pleasure to shoot and easy on the brass. I don't get beat up if I am plinking and if I do my part, game is in the bag.

I am on my last jug of AA2200. It is no longer available. I will probably go to AA2230 or H4895. Can you offer any suggestions?

I hope I didn't offend Cook with the mention of Hodgdon's "Youth Loads". Maybe I should have referred to them as "Low Recoil" :wink:

Cook, what are you trying to accomplish? Target load, Plinking load or hunting load? Maybe we can help if we know more.

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I have a Spanish Mauser in 308, also. I bought it about 20 years ago, and it is 95 based small ring. You showed good judgement in using the mild loading, as these were quick and inexpensive conversions to the "new" Nato round.

I shoot 150s in mine, loaded with H4895. They are mild loads. IMR or H4895 are good powders for reducing loads a bit. 4895 is a good accuracy powder as a rule. Pressures can jump right up fast if you try to push 4895, however. Have you ever considered Reloader 15?? I have had fantastic experience with it for cases the size of 308, 300 Savage, 8MM Mauser...I use nothing but RE 15 for loading 8X57JR and 7X57R for my older German combo guns. Take a look at it. :idea: It doesn't seem as temperature sensitive as 4895... IMR 4064 is also a good medium burning rate powder.

12. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I HAVE BEEN BUSY!!!!!
    just started at another restaurant in beverlyhills called "HIROZEN" if anyone is in the LA area come check it out one of the best japanese fusion restraunts in town. 8385 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048

It's been a couple of weeks since I have gone out to the range let alone thought "gun" in a while :cry: eh as for the 30-06 it's going to be regulated as my one and only everything gun from taking down deer to opening a can of beer at the end of the day. Stupid looking thing that I found out worked real well for my recoil problem was buying a pack of Dr. Schoels foot gel packs sticking them in an old sock and just drapping it over my shoulder, now it's like getting punched in the arm by your 4yr. old brother. :lol: Aside from that haven't had time to do any reloading bought some factory remington ammo and prolly going to see if I can wake up really early saturday and squeeze off a few.. or was that pinch off a few I forget. :wink:

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Great Idea!! :D 8) :!:

14. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

A Sad Sad Story......

I managed to get off work today so I decided to go spend it out in the palmdale desert hunting the elusive jackrabbit with my friend jhonny. Since I own two guns now, the .22lr marlin 60, and the 30-06 remington 700 sps, I let him use the .22 and I the 30-06.

Now here is the back story. I've been hunting out in palmdale with johnny for 2 months dead set on bagging a jackrabbit so I can stew it. In our time out there we have seen exactly 6 jackrabbit, on the accout my friend johnny is an A.D.D. kid and can't sit still or shut up for more than 15min. I REALLY want to cook one just to see what it tastes like :x

okay so it's about 6pm I spot one about 250yrds I take my shot and I hit!!!! Only to find a bloody smear some fur and one intact leg. :x :x :x

I have come to discover that factory 30-06 loads are not for jackrabbit nor do I think any 30-06 load will ever be suitable for jackrabbit. On the upshot I did finnaly get to taste jackrabbit.
    Two beers and one BBQ jackrabbit leg for two friends. It's tough, there isn't as much meat on the leg as I thought there would be, but it's got alot of flavor. :p

Next time I go out to hunt for jackrabbit I think i'm going to go solo and use only the .22lr I WILL HAVE MY STEW!!! :evil:

15. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:wink: You may have to do a bit of searching, but the Full Metal Jacket bullets will not tear up the meat. OK for jacks and cottontails... not for deer. Good hunting/cooking/eating!
    ///olde 8) pharte///

16. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Re: re: Reloading for 30-06

GREAT story, Cook. And funny. I recall thinking I could do a similar thing, with a 22-250 and a cottontail, if I just shot it in the head...I could eat it. Well, I could have, if fur on tree is a snack. Went back to the .22lr, and loves me a good brunswick stew with bunny.

17. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Hey guy, I just ran into an oddball problem.

Just recently bought a new box of bullets "West Coast Bullets" is the company, "Copper Bullets" are the name, cal 308, 150gr, FP. 500 bullets in a box $25.00 :D

The problem I have run into is you know how the reloading manual says that after you seat a bullet the overall ammo length should be 3.340 +/- .005
    Well when I seat the bullet to 3.340 the bullet isn't in far enough to be held in. Sooooo the question is instead of measuring overall length to get bullet seating, how far in is the bullet actuall supposed to be in?
    I know I can figuere out how far the bullet is in if I measure the case w/o bullet, and the bullet, and then the overall ammo length. That should get me how far the bullet is in the case.

Question is, how far should the bullet be in? Or does it matter? :?

18. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Wild Hare Eating Cook,

If it is a cast bullet, it probably has a crimping groove. Use it.

If it is a jacketed bullet, it may have a cannelure. Use it.

If a jacketed bullet and no cannelure, try this. Start a bullet in a sized, unprimed case. With your rifle pointed in a safe direction, load this dummy round into your rifle. The bullet should be pushed into the case as it jams against the rifling. Open the bolt and remove the round. You will see markings where the bullet touched the rifling. Measure and record the length. Seat the bullet .0010"-.0025" deeper into the case. Test to make certain the round will fit in the rifle magazine and chamber easily. If all is right, use this dummy to set up your seating die. :wink:

19. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Cool beans thank you very much mule :D

So just to make sure I got it correct, the bullet should be fit so that it is barely not touching the rifling and it stays in the case, the seating depth really doesn't matter that much.

Neat trick by the way :D

20. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

HEYA! I just finished firing off my first set of handloads through my rifle today. From what I have read the cases are now form fitted to the gun and I don't want to do a full resize of the case on this second go around. How do I go about just resizing the neck? I've read the reloading manual, I've looked at my dies, but for the life of me I can't visualize how to do it.

From what I understand and see, to resize the neck, I have to push the case all the way into the die, so that the neck gets squished back in. But if I do that the rest of the case gets squished too and I don't want to do that. :?

Do I have to purchase an entirely different die that's made for just resizing the neck only? Or is there a trick to it?