Reloading question

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by Big Yac, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

I"m going to be getting a Rock Chucker here soon. I was wondering do I need a shell holder for each different caliber I have?

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Most all standard rimless rounds in the US are the same as a 30-06 at the base and use an RCBS #3 shell holder. Most belted magnums here use a #4 shell holder. Many others will interchange. RCBS lists several different numbers for some calibers; the first listed is the best choice, but the others will work, also.

Get an RCBS catalog and look up the various interchange combinations. It will save you a bucket of zukes that you can use to buy more guns. :idea: :D :D

3. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

i just got a ll 3 station turret press. i have tons of questions. i'm looking at getting some different dies. are all dies the same thread size? any help is great.

4. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

Yes, you do need cartridge specific shellholders, but depending upon the brand dies you buy, most manufacturers include the sheller holder. One shellholder might fit several different calibers though, so check the cartridge before you rush out and buy a shellholder you already got. Now, I haven't bought dies for a while, but I know the Lee used to include a shellholder in their die sets. For the next question....all dies are created equal as far as thread size goes, so yes, what ever brand you buy will fit your press. I have an assortment of different dies, and they all fit my presses. One is an "old" Lee turret press, and the other a RCBS Rock Chucker. I can't begin to tell you how many rounds have come off that turret press. Good choice for the beginner.

5. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

i've now picked up a total of 4 presses. 2- 3 turret & 2- 5 turret.
    plus tons of add ons and accessories. it will take some time to sort out everything. i'll probably sell off all the parts i don't need. if anyone is interested, let me know. once i sort everything out, i'll list all the stuff i have for sale.

6. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

QUESTION????? can you use 9mm bullets to reload 38/357. they are so so close in dia. ?????

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

jc,

I have used 115 gr .355 bullets in my 38 special loads for my S&W Chief's Airweight for years. The .355 work, but pinpoint accuracy is not to be expected.

8. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

thanks for the info. just want to load some cheap ammo to plink with. seems like 9mm fmj's are cheaper than 38/357.

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

jc,

Try the copper plated lead cast bullets. :idea: Thats what I use for inexpensive plinking...saves a bundle. :!: They seem to run .356 as a rule and don't foul bores at somewhat higher velocities. Check Midway USA for deals. midwayusa.com

10. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

yeah, fmj's they should done fine and save $. thanks for all the info. always willing to listen.