Rem Target rifle ?

Discussion in 'Small Bore' started by 1gsplover, Nov 20, 2005.

1. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: Noted an advisory post from last September re: Remington Model 504-T. I have a need for a target rimfire. Any further word on that Rem 504? The cosmetics don't exactly make me squirm in my chair, but if it is a real shooter, I guess I could learn to tolerate that butt ugly stock. Any comments much appreciated. Thanks.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

2. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

I don't own one but I just took a look on the Remington web site. The 504T with the laminated stock isn't "too" bad.
    However, I do like the 'classic' look of the stock on the 504.
    Hummm, maybe you can get a 504T and open up the channel of the 504 stock to handle the bull barrel?

3. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:lol: Forgot all about that Remmy target rifle... a new shooter (also, new to shooting) friend of a friend showed up at my house w/504T NIB, got my son to help him shoot the "new" off it. Nice rifle, but not priced like a plinker, for sure! Some cosmetic imperfections really rubbed me the wrong way; Rem could have spent just a tad more time and effort finishing that rifle carefully and produced a beauty. As is, it's like a new truck without a decent sound system... just ain't quite right. Ahhhh, my rant has passed.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:evil: That .22 would not group, so the lads mounted "Cadillac" rings and scope on it and shot some more... crappola groups! I'm not getting my dog into this fight, but if'n it was me...BLAM!!! Back to the factory with a hot letter!
    ///olde :wink: pharte///

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Before I sent the gun back to the factory with a nastygram I'd run some "Cadillac" ammo through it. Something like Eley Tenex, Federal Gold Medal Match, CCI Green Box, etc. It may take decent standard velocity ammo to get the performance the gun is capable of, not the high velocity bulk stuff that is normally bought. The brands and lines of ammo I listed have been very good for me in a variety of rifle but other brands may be better in other rifles. I do not get top accuracy out of high speed and bulk ammo as a rule though it is generally good enough for plinking and non-serious use.

6. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

I'm pretty sure they shot a couple types of Eley, but don't know if any other premium ammo was used. You are right, of course, ought to try at least a dozen brands/speeds before leaning on the manufacturer.
    ///olde :roll: pharte///

7. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

1gsplover, :D Say, if you have need of a good .22 Rem. Target rifle, why not check out the older 513T's or 521T's. They are not cheap, but the one's we have shoot super, and if you don't hit it off with that rifle, you don't loose a bunch on trade for another. :roll: We used to pick these up in West Va. at the used gunshops. The old time squirrel hunters loved 'em. :lol: :lol: Right now for here, I like my 39A for several reasons, but the Rem. Targets will always have a home with me :roll: :wink: