remanfactured ammo good or bad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 870 Flyer, Mar 9, 2005.

1. 870 Flyer

870 Flyer Guest

just bought a box of reman ultramax 38 spl is it good to use for target practice wont hurt the gun?

thx
    chris

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I shoot quite a bit of Utramax's products, there should be no problem using it.

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Reman ammo is nothing more than reloads made at the factory. Reman ammo, if loaded to SAAMI specs, would be the same as factory ammo made from "virgin" brass. Black Hills also makes "reman" ammo which a lot of folks use.

Safe shooting.

4. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Guest

Yep, your fine. Have a good time.

5. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

I shot Ultramax ammo in .223 and found it to be cheap yes, but accuracy varried from round to round. So for the heck of it I pulled 6 bullets apart to see just what made them tick. I discovered that the bases of the bullets were all different, except for 2. Some were concave, while others were flat. I have since been told , from someone who knows a lot more about reloads than I do, that this ammo is military surplus and they expect their ammo to print in a spray like pattern. Gee, I would think they would want the most accurate ammo the government could afford. Anyway, I won't buy Ultramax again. The small targets I go after, like muskrats and paraire dogs demand a more accurate round.

6. wired

wired Guest

I shoot a ton of Ultramax .40S&W, and I am quite pleased with it. Never had any kind of problems (of course, it IS being shot out of a Beretta...). I'll probably get some Ultramax .38Spl the next time I go pick some up.

7. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: remanfactured ammo good or bad?

If you're shooting a .223 for accuracy, you should take up handloading. You'll be able to find a combination your rifle likes, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying factory ammo.

8. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

I do reload. I was making a comment regarding re-manufactured ammo. My experiences have found this particular brand to be average.

9. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:lol: Does your U-max seem to produce quite a lot of smoke? I used to shoot the .38 U-max reloads, and seems I recall the stuff being pretty filthy. BUUUT, it was cheap and it went boom, so it was definitely worth the cost. JMHO :roll: :roll: ///olde 8) pharte///