Remington 700 Re-stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Restoration' started by ClintG, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ClintG

ClintG Member

Hi everyone, I would like to ask for a little help. I have an older Remington 700ADL in 30-06 that will not pattern. The first one or two shoots ok, the latter shots walk off up and left. I could try to free float the Remington stock or re-stock.
    Cabela's has a wooden stock, Accurate Innovations with full-length bedding block, for $340. Even though I would like to completely build a custom gun, I just can't quite see putting $500 or more into a $200 gun.
    The question I'm asking is, has anyone use a synthetic drop-in stock with bedding block that they liked? I know that there are several makes and styles. I'm thinking of black classic style for a reasonable price of $75 to $150 and build on that.
    Would like to windup with a decent looking rifle that shoots to 1/2" to 3/4" moa.

Thanks for any help, Clint

2. slugmensch

slugmensch Guest

A synthetic drop-in stock ? The standard Remington 700 ADL (long-action, in this case) synthetic stock. $89.00 at Cabela's, if I remember correctly. Fibre-reinforced and actually, rather well made. I have had several ADL's... each equipped with just this stock. It is molded to fit the action exactly, unlike some aftermarket stocks. The standard stock does not have a bedding block - but, it's usually not necessary. As long as the action fits well (almost a given with this stock), then, if the other bits of your rifle are good , the rifle should shoot well. Every rifle is different, often it is just a matter of finding which ammo the rifle "prefers". My ADL's, all in .308, will ALL produce less than 1 MOA with the standard stock (and the right ammo). Understand, there is no guarantee that simply changing the stock will give you 1/2 to 3/4 MOA - there can be a lot more to it. But, if you want a good synthetic stock, inexpensively, you can't beat this one.

3. harold50

harold50 Guest

I have read somewhere that the synthetic Remington stock as described is noisy when one is carrying/walking through brush or the stock is knocked against a coat button.

Is that your experience?

I have an old ADL LA .270 with "impress" checkering and a lot of wear. Although it shoots well I would like to clean it up and maybe make it lighter to carry.

Your thoughts?

Best wishes, Harold

4. ClintG

ClintG Member

Thanks for the replys. I think the action and barrel are good but there seems to be a split at the forearm near the mounting screw. Thats why I'm thinking about a new stock.
    The ones that I have looked at on the internet seem to range all-over the place as to price, material and fit. I have also read that a synthetic stock is more flexable than a wooden one and the weight is somewhat less, ie more recoil.
    I have re-thought about the money that may have to be put into this and if I'm going to do it I would like to do it right. I have a very good Leupold scope to use, only need to get new base and rings. I will replace the trigger and have the action polished.
    The only thing I am having trouble with is not wanting to blindly order a stock sight unseen. I was hopeful for some advise from experience. Or to tell me that I'm going completly overboard and it's not worth the effort.
    The ammunition I believe I can work out after I rebuild, at least I hope I can.

Again, thanks for any help, Clint

5. slugmensch

slugmensch Guest

The standard synthetic Rem. 700 stock can be noisy - IF used as delivered. I have always filled the hollow spaces with polyurethane foam- (very easy to do) - which eliminates the hollow sound. If this is done, then no, I would say these stocks are no more noisy than any others (at least, not enough to matter). As for weight, the synthetic stocks are (probably) a bit lighter than the wood stocks...and definitely lighter than a laminated stock. They are not "featherlight", however. I just weighed a spare ADL stock, that I have...about 2.25 lbs. That may be lighter than the comparable wood stock - but not by a huge amount. I have never been bothered by excessive recoil with these stocks. I have always found the standard recoil pad to be fine, but, if recoil is an issue, I can say from personal experience that the Remington R3 replacement pad makes my .308 feel like a .243. No kidding. Granted, the 30-06 does produce more recoil than a .308, so that is an issue to be judged by the individual. Another easy solution to the recoil issue is to simply imbed some metal pieces (heavy washers work well for this) IN the poly foam, as you are foaming the hollows. By adding, say, 6-8 ozs of mass, I'll bet that the syn. stock would weigh as much as the standard wood stock.
    As to stiffness, this is not an issue (in this case). IF the synthetic stock fits the action as it should, I can say (again, by personal experience) that no problems will occur. Yes, ultimately, the syn. stock has a bit of flex - but not much. So, by the way, do wood stocks....they just flex at a different vibrational frequency than synthetics. This has never been an issue for me - and never caused accuracy problems. All of my ADL's will shoot sub-MOA, with the right ammo.
    As to appearance, I agree that the Rem. stock may not be the prettiest. I have begun to paint my ADL stocks, just to get a bit of a different look. This, of course, is VERY easy to do. The syn. material will take paint very well.
    Finally, I suggested the Rem. synthetic stock as a low-cost alternative (which I thought I understood to be a requirement). If it's not an issue after all, then, if you want a synthetic stock - just purchase a Mcmillan stock and be done with it. Mcmillans are probably the best synthetic stocks made. They will have no trouble fixing you up, with your choice of colours, for about $350.00, plus options, if memory serves.