Remington 700 sps stainless

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by craigc, Feb 14, 2005.

1. craigc

craigc Guest

Does anyone have a remington 700 sps stainless? or just a sps? i am looking to get a stainless steel sps in 30-06 caliber. what are your likes/dislikes? advantages/disadvantages? how does it shoot? what scope do u have on it?

2. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Guest

I shoot a stainless, but not in .30-06 or SPS. I shoot a Remington BDL DM SS in 7mm STW. I love my stainless. This year I am going to start handloading, but I was shooting a little over 1" with factory at 100yards. To clean the ouutside all you have to do is wipe with a good cloth. As for barrel cleaning, same as carbon steel.

3. KaBar

KaBar Guest

I might be buying a 700 SPS in a .223 this week. If I do end up getting it I'll let you know as to how it works. You wouldn't happen to know if it is a long or short action and how many lbs. the trigger pull is, would ya?

4. slugmensch

slugmensch Guest

KaBar,
    Any rifle chambered for .223 is a SHORT-ACTION. As to trigger pull weight, this varies somewhat. The factory normally sets them at the upper end of the range these days (for greatest safety). The Remington trigger is designed for a range of approximately 3.0 to 7.0 lbs. On average, I would expect the number to be in the region of 6 lbs, out of the box. I would suggest, when you purchase the rifle, go ahead and have the gunsmith re-adjust the trigger to about 3 - 3.5 lbs.... and clean up any slop in it. You'll find the rifle much more pleasant to shoot that way - and it will likely improve your shooting. Usually, this runs about $35 - $40.

5. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Thanks for the info! If I end up getting this gun I'd probably take it to a gunsmith for some trigger work. I think I would be hesitent to do so until the warrenty runs out just in case. But who knows. Thanks again for the help.

6. craigc

craigc Guest

let me know how u like it when u get it.

7. benelliM2

benelliM2 Guest

MY BROTHER JUST RECEIVED HIS NEW 700 SPS STAINLESS 300 WIN MAG THE FINISH ON THE GUN IS THE WORST HAVE SEEN. IT LOOKS LIKE 80 GRIT SANDPAPER AND THE GUN JUST LOOKS CHEAP. THE STOCK IS THE ONLY REALY NICE THING ABOUT IT. HE IS TAKING TO THE LOCAL GUN SHOW TO GET RID OF IT WITHOUT FIRING THE FIRST SHOT.

8. craigc

craigc Guest

i guess i will stick to the bdl or the cdl i havent heard any good things about the sps stainless. which is a better gun? 700 bdl or cdl?

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Craigc both are good guns,the finish on the cdl is not as shinny as the bdl,see which fits you best,both are great guns.Drop-Shot

10. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Have you not heard good things about the SPS in general or just about the SPS in stainless steel?

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Kabar I have held the remington CDL and the BDL,I have not seen the sps yet.If it's on a 700 action it should be a shooter.I hope to see one soon,I am moving so I can't get to my favorite gun shop.We should be in Montana this weekend,and after unloading and resting I may just run over to one of the local gunshops and give them a looksee.I'll post as soon as I can.Drop-Shot

12. craigc

craigc Guest

Re: re: Remington 700 sps stainless

ive heard things about how the sps stainless is poorly made and the finish is bad... i dunno about the sps i am seriously looking in to buy a sps

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Creigc,I had a chance to look at the sps and the bead blasted finish on the gun is course,but it takes the shine off the stainless steel and the action felt as smooth as a remington should be,I personaly didn't care for the finish but your tastes may like it.It is a remington and all will shoot well or remington will make it shoot well.At a distance it looks great but mabe the gun I saw was a poor example,look at one for yourself and see if the balance is right for you.Give Kelsey at High Mountain Hunting Supply a chance to tell you what he thinks about it.I think it's lovetohunt.com he posts on this site all the time and since he sells them he may be able to give better advise.For me the cdl in 35 whelen is the cats meow.Drop-Shot

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Creigc thats luvtohunt.com give Kelsey a shout and see if he has any experience with the sps.It felt smooth as silk and it will never rust.If the stainless wasn't beadblasted to that finish it would have a stainless shine that people and animals can see,the owner of capital sports said he has sold several and all have stayed in the field.It's a 700 and thats saying alot,one of the best actions out there and remington will go the extra mile to keep a customer happy.Drop-Shot

15. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Creigc I have looked at 2 other sps remingtons and I really like them,I was told that the course beadblasting was done on purpose.Most litely beadblasted stainless rifles will wear to shiny with use but the sps won't,thats why remington did the course beadblast.It's made for use and the 700 action is super smooth,lockup is excellant.The only guy that said any thing negative was benellim2 I think,with the name benelli you can tell what he likes.I have seen the semi auto benelli in action,they shoot good for a semi auto but you can wager a months salary that any remington 700 will out shoot any semi auto of any make any time.The fit on the rifles I saw was good and now I want one.I don't know anybody that has one but all remingtons will shoot well and the synthetic stock absorbs alot of shock so it's easier to shoot than a wood stock.If you like them GET ONE!Drop-Shot

16. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Just wanted to let you know that I still haven't gotten the rifle but from what Drop-Shot said I'll have to.

17. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

KaBar I have drooled over the sps since I saw my first one.What kind of price are you looking at?Kelesy sells them for 495.00 or a little less,check out luvtohunt.com at the prices.I have a remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen paid for but I haven't gotten it yet,my daughter lives in the Seattle area and we will go for a visit in June and pick it up in Wenatchee then.I looked at a remington sps over here and they want 689.00,even with shipping to a FFL in your area would save you over 100.00 if the prices are the same as over here.Thats a nice rifle,what caliber are you looking at?Drop-Shot

18. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Drop-Shot,

I was qouted at $439 at my local dealer. Seems like a pretty good price. I was going to get it in a .22-250 for varmint hunting but since my father has bought himself a Bushmaster that could be used for varmints, I am now thinking about getting Remington's new 700 Classic in 308 WIN. I don't know what I'd do with that rifle yet but I think it would make a very nice first bolt action rifle. What do you think?

19. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Kabar that would be a super rifle,the 700 classic and the CDL is close in looks and the legandary 700 action is one of the best.The 308 is a great round also and would be a good choice for 110 gr bullets-165 gr,any bullet bigger is taking too much room in the case and my experience is the larger bullets arn't stable enough to be as accurate,thats why I had a 308 and a 30/06,the /06 was and still is used for larger bullets 150 gr-220 gr.If you are going to deer and antelope hunt the 308 is perfect and more than a few have taken elk with 150 and 165 gr premium bullets.Good choice KaBar,I think my next rifle will be a sps remington,the cz american is also calling my name but lack of funds are keeping me from them both.Have a good day KaBar.Drop-Shot

20. KaBar

KaBar Guest

It would appear that the SPS on luvtohunt.com is $424.99. Where is luvtohunt.com located? May have to check them out. Unfortuately the dealer I go to specializes more in the assault rifles and pistols. Although they will order shotguns and rifles for you if you want but you won't be able to try them out first. I see that I could get the SPS in .308 also. Which would you choose the SPS or Classic? Do classics hold/raise in value over time? If the wood is real nice on the Classic I think I'd prefer it but then again I'm kinda ruff on wood when I'm out in the woods.