remington spartan double rifle

Discussion in 'Remington' started by ronnyb, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ronnyb

ronnyb Guest

has anybody tried the remington spartan sxs double rifle i'am thinking about getting one in 30-06 to play around with, but would like to know how the barrels are regulated.have a spartan o/u 20 gauge shot gun and am surprised with the
    quality. thanks

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

When they were sold as Bakhails,I looked at one in 308. Barrels were about an inch apart and looked a little funny. Mounting a scope and getting both barrels shooting somewhere close together should be interesting.
    Personally,I thought they were rough looking. Fit and finish sucked big time! If they're like the shotguns though,they may be close to indestructable. Butt-Ugly but works great.

HWD

OOPS!!!! I just reread the original and saw that it said "SxS". The ones I saw were O/U's. SxS might be a whole nother animal!

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I just looked at the Spartan site. That double rifle don't have a recoil pad on it! Now I know there's some tough guys out there but shooting that thing in 45/70 IS GONNA HURT!

Then I got to loking at the shotguns. I might just have to get me one of those 410's. I don't much like the choking on em,but it sure looks like it'd like to go stomping out bunnies with me. Matter of fact,I coulda swore that I heard voices saying "Buy me, she'll never know!" heehee!

HWD

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Have any of you guys laid eyes on one of these things yet? I,ve looked around and haven't seen any at local dealers that handle the Spartan Shotguns. I've not seen them at any of the local gun shows either.

HWD

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Remington has put off deliver until after the first of the year. They gave no reason for the delay when I called them.

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

hwd,

It is common for double rifles used for dangerous game hunting to have a horn, plastic, or wood butt. Recoil pads tend to catch up in clothing and cause trouble when things get exciting.

My pre '64 Mdl 70 in 375 H&H still has the factory meat cleaver steel butt plate for that reason. When I shoot it for fun or sight it in, I use thin a slip on pad.

The Baikal based guns are tough, if not slickly finished. I have a Mdl 94 o/u in 12ga/7X57R, and it shoots exactly where it is pointed. The metal to metal fit is very good everywhere it counts. :D The wood looks like it was fitted and checkered by a drunk with a machete, however. :?

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I think this model is history. I noticed that is gone from the Remington web page. A friend has had one ordered form months and can't get a delivery date. One shop owner told me that he had heard that the Russians couldn't get it together with acceptable quality.