Remington Sportsman 78, 30-06

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Hank, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Hank

Hank Guest

A friend is moving and offering to sell me his 30-06 SPRG. Remington Sportsman 78 w/ Simmons 3 - 9 x 30 scope. The rifle is in very good condition, bore in great shape, and has been well-kept. I'd like to use it for deer, maybe varmit.

Is this a good solid rifle? Any problems or drawbacks with this particular bolt-action model? What price range is a fair offer for this gun? Any help or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

3. Hank

Hank Guest

Thank you for the info. Have you ever shot this rifle? Was wondering if it is a good all-around rifle and worth picking up. He will take $175 for the gun. I have not been able to find much on this model, other than it was built on the model 700 frame/barrel assembly, is that correct?
    Any info. would be of use. Thanks, Hank

4. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

If you have a need for a .30-06 then buy it. Remington has always put out a quality product.

Seems to me to be a good deal if the rifle is in good shape and the bore is bright. A rifle with scope is hard to pass up for that money!

The Model 78 was made between 1984 and 1988 - it is the "economy version" of the Model 700.

5. Hank

Hank Guest

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to shooting this rifle. Hank.

6. harold50

harold50 Guest

Your friend is treating you like a friend so long as the firearm is in good repair.

Buy it and enjoy it - no you won't take it out to show the "beautiful" craftsmanship, but it will likely shoot as well as any other you could buy w/o a scope under $700-$800.

Hard to beat an '06 for most anything bigger than a muskrat or smaller than a grizzly.

Harold