Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://tinyurl.com/a2kd6

I'm still looking for a .223 bolt. I haven't found the right one yet.I was considering an SKS but went back to looking for a .223 bolt. I found this Remington on the web and would like to know what other's have expierenced with it. The rifle is a Remington 700 BDL in .223. It is a Remington so the odds of finding a good used one are high. Also after market add-ons (such as bi-pods, triggers, etc.) would be some what easy to come by.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sho†gun

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Accuracy wise, the 700 is one of the actions all others are measured against. I've owned several over the years and they have all been outstanding guns. The only hesitation I have in buying a used gun in the varmint calibers is the possibility they have been heavily used prairie dog shooting. I have seen several that have had a fair amount of throat erosion and were in need of a rebarreling. The price tag reflected the external condition of the rifle and not the interior. I found these guns through both private parties and reputable dealers so it truly is "buyer beware".

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re: Remmington 700?

uglydog said:
Accuracy wise, the 700 is one of the actions all others are measured against. I've owned several over the years and they have all been outstanding guns. The only hesitation I have in buying a used gun in the varmint calibers is the possibility they have been heavily used prairie dog shooting. I have seen several that have had a fair amount of throat erosion and were in need of a rebarreling. The price tag reflected the external condition of the rifle and not the interior. I found these guns through both private parties and reputable dealers so it truly is "buyer beware".
Sp look before I buy or spend more and buy new?

· Registered
1,427 Posts
If you are familiar with how a barrel should look and the simple equipment to determine wear, then used would not be a problem otherwise go new. I've been bitten once and I would have been much money ahead if I would have bought new. A "shot out" barrel is around half the cost of a new gun not to mention any finishing reaming and headspacing which is either more equipment cost or paying someone to do it for you. That is why I think the Savage package guns are such a good value, they are easily the equivalent in field accuracy for most people at about 2/3rds the price of a Remington 700. Add in the cost of scope, rings, and bases and the Savage is an even better deal. It looks like the Stevens 200 is the Savage without the Accu-Trigger and is about $100-150 less. I haven't shot an Accu-Trigger enough to know if it is markedly preferred to the old trigger but I have been satisfied with the old style on my deer gun. I don't think the Stevens comes in a package so total cost would be another $60-70 dollars at least. I think the Remington is a better looking rifle but my next varmint gun looks like it will be a Stevens or Savage depending on availability of a Savage with a standard weight barrel rather than heavy.

· Premium Member
1,876 Posts
The out of the box Savage rifles are more accurate than many $4,000.00-$5,000.00 semi-custom production rifles. The exterior finish may be a bit more rough, but the rifle does best what it was meant to do...shoot where pointed. :idea:

· Registered
583 Posts
Shotgun Rev., I have a Rem 700 and it is a great rifle (had it since I was a pup) but as UDog and others have noted, you can get a new Stevens 200 for relatively few shekels and be pretty much assured that you are not inheriting someone else's problem rifle. Not to say that some good used deals are not out there but buying used can sometimes lead to spending as much or more in the end than if you had bought new. I started with Savage a couple years back as I had a tight budget (still do) but have really come to appreciate what value these rifles offer and performance way out of whack with their price. I'm looking to add a Stevens to my own collection when they become available in this area.

· Registered
1,427 Posts
I just picked up a Savage combo in .223 today at Gander Mountain. It was the old style trigger and they had it on clearance. They met Wal-Mart's price and still gave me the discount. Using their credit card got the price down around the $300 mark before taxes. I'll have to sight it in tomorrow and maybe get a chance to use it next week. the Remington 700 ADL is being discontinued in favor of the SPS series so there are some deals on these. The .204 round has the greatest discounts but the ammo is pretty scarce outside major cities and is rather pricey. I didn't see any in .223 in the two stores I was at but there were some in .270. 30/06, and .243 in the mid $300 range.

· Registered
143 Posts
Re: re: Remmington 700?

shotgun minister said:
Sp look before I buy or spend more and buy new?
i don't know if you've bought anything yet, but my advice is to spend a little more for the new one. the only exception would be if you know the seller, or if you're getting a deal that's far too good to pass up and you have a chance to carefully inspect the firearm.

my first gun purchase after i turned 18 ended with me getting burned. i was(and still am) stuck with someone else's problem. the only reason i haven't destroyed the reciever and trashed the gun is because of sentimental(sp) reasons... i mean, it is the first gun i ever bought myself.

since then, i've always spent a little more to get the gun new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.