Rifle and Pistol reloading question

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by clayshooter25/25, Apr 3, 2005.

1. I probably will not reload rifle and pistol for a long time because I don't have a center fire rifle or a pistol yet. I have a question however. I have picked up a few rifle and pistol rounds at the shooting range and I wonder how you could de-prime them. It doesn't look like you can punch it out the bottom like you can with shotgun shells.

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

They deprime exactly like a shotshell. The deprime pin is smaller than the one on a shotshell reloader, though, since the flash hole is smaller.

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

C-shooter.

A trip to the local sporting goods emporium will solve your not owning a centerfire, rest assured that pistols and riflles are as addictive as shotguns.

WWB is correct in that they deprime just like shotgun shells. I use a Lee Kit where I just use a punch and a hammer to decap though my universal decapper die and press is what I use for volume work. Got to make sure the cases are Boxer primered though since the Berdan ones use a different flash hole and are a bit more difficult to decap.

4. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

If you don't want to invest in any rifle/pistol reloading equipment yet, there are some alternatives. For short cases you can actually use a finish nail. For longer cases look for a finish nail punch with a long punch extension.