Rifle sabots

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by The_Cook, Oct 4, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I just had my mind blown!!!!

Digging around on the internet I ran into a company that made sabots that make .224diameter bullets fit in .308 barrels. :shock: Dies and sabots total out to about $60 which give ya 100 sabots, and the die to slip the bullets in. Has anyone played around with these!?

If sabots are accurate enough to hunt with (2-4" groups at 100-300yrds) that means I won't have to buy a new rifle to bag hare,rabbit,squirel, or coyote. I can just make a sabot load for my 30-06 rem 700sps and no longer run into my tufts of fur and blood problem when trying to get hare out in palmdale. That means I can put off the expensive repair to .22lr Marlin 60 and I don't have to buy another gun for coyote pelt recovery.

And the other thing is the sabot company said the bullets can zing outta the 30-06 at 4000+ velocities!

I'm giddy :D 4000+ velocities! Might as well be a stright line for tragectory at that speed! Friggin man eating sharks with laserguiding systems attached to thier heads!!!!!

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,

Remindton used to make these type bullets also. Folks that I know didn't have much in the way of accuracy. Why not just load some 110 gr soft points? You can get some good accuracy out of these. Small game animals are still gonna go all to pieces though. Looks like you might be in the need of a rifle of smaller caliber. Maybe a 223 or something of that nature?

HWD

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

Don't mean to burst your happy bubble, but.... BIG TIME WRONG !!!

If you think the '06 tears up a little critter, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Those little .22 sabots cookin' along (nice pun, huh, Cook?) at something around 4,000 fps have an effect rather similar to a small thermonuclear explosion when they hit a little critter.

4. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've used the Remington sabots in the 30/06 and 30/30 and they are destructive little buggers if you can get them to hit the target. Any rabbit, squirrel, or other small animal will be pretty much mist while the coyotes I've shot were so badly damaged they were almost unusable. Even FMJ rounds at normal .223 velocities are too destructive for small animals if one wishes to eat them let alone 4,000 fps.
    3"-4" groups at 100 yards were not uncommon but are worthless in this application. The animals these rounds are meant for have vital areas this size or smaller so it is more than possible to miss (or worse wound) the animal with even a perfect hold. The rifling twist in a 30/06 is all wriong for this weight of bullet which is why accuracy is poor and with the high velocity loadings you can vaporize the bullet shortly after leaving the muzzle if you are cognizant with bullet choice. You can decrease the velocity but then you potentially can run into cartridge detonation problems if you are not careful.
    For small edible game, fix you .22 or buy a new one. There is a reason the .22 rimfire is the one all others have been compared to for 150 years. For coyotes, buy yourself a .223 or .22/250 and be done with it. There is a reason these are the benchmarks in their classes.

5. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Damn you people for taking a man's dream and dashing it against the sharp rocks of reality. I hope you people are happy :cry:

6. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

have you ever heard of a sabot for pistol rounds??????
    how about a .358 sabot using a .243 ballistic tip.
    might have to use .357max brass so you could seat bullet/sabot. sorry if sounds stupid. i just think of thing to try.

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

It sounds Veeeerrrrryyyy Interesting. :shock: :D