Rubbing alcohol

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Anonymous, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone swab their barrels with rubbing alcohol before shooting to dry out excess oils ???????????????

BigBear

2. dinengurth

dinengurth Guest

I usually just run a couple of dry patches after cleaning to remove excess oil.

3. fireguymike

fireguymike Member

I usually use Break-Clean.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

sulfated oil is ash and is of little consiquence.But bigbear I have found that if you have confidence in a procedure do it.It may be small but we all have things we like to do and it may have little help but if it gives us confidence then do it.Drop-Shot

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

That last post was a long time ago and after re-reading the post it didn't make much sense so I will tell why I said what I did.All petrolleum products are either paraphin base or ash base.When heated beyond their tolorance level they will sulfate or break down to their original base.All of the gun oils I have seen are ash based oils(except the synthetics)and will revert to it's natural base.If oil is heavily left in a barrell it can cause pressure increases when shot, as long as pressures arn't too high it won't harm the barrell as the oil will revert to ash and will come out of the barrell.I swab my barrells before shooting and don't use chemicals to get oil film out cause when shot the oil film reverts to ash and it's such a small amount that the vacuum behind the bullet will pull it out when shot.Thats why I said what I said,if other things make you more confident then by all means use them.I hope I cleared up that thought.Drop-Shot

6. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thanks 8point,getting ready for this fall?I'm trying to,I see deer both white tail and muley on a regular basis.When we have a dry summer they come out of the mountains and eat lawns and flowers folks plant.I ate some ground meat awhile back and it was 50% gristle and fat,very little meat.I plan on getting my deer/elk/bear license and mabe an extra doe tag just for ground meat.We have an over abundance of does right now and are offered to buy an extra doe tag to help the problem.I plan on hunting but not far from the roads or trails.How about you?Drop-Shot

8. B540Glenn

B540Glenn Active Member

Re: re: Rubbing alcohol

Drop-Shot,

I'm a bit confused here. How can there be a vacuum behind the bullet if it's being pushed by expanding gasses and pressure?

Just trying to figure it out,

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Glenn when the bullet and expanding gases leaves the barrell it creates a wash or vacuum that pulls the sulfated ash deposits,its not an absolute vacuum or a constant vacuum like a car engine but a wash.Any thing that has speed or velocity(like an airplane in flight, or a bullet leaving the barrel)creates that wash.Its not measureable on a gun but there none the less and with all the heat from the fired bullet it just causes the ash deposits to pull out right behind the bullet.Keep asking,I like to be questioned cause it keeps me thinking.Drop-Shot

10. B540Glenn

B540Glenn Active Member

OK, much clearer now.

Thanks.

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey Glenn my son in law is from the Detroit area,pulled for the Lions every year and now lives in the Seattle area and pulls for the Mariners and Sea Hawks and still gets let down every year,coming closer but no cigar.You guys deserve to have a quality franchise.He is new to shooting,never did it as a kid and wants to come out here in July and do some shooting.I gave him a 22 pistol and we can shoot that as well as the 38 special I gave my daughter when she turned 21.What do you think would be the hoot of a life time for a kid from the Detroit area that has never even shot a bb gun?Rifle or pistol?Caliber?Drop-Shot

12. B540Glenn

B540Glenn Active Member

He's used to disappointment then. ;)

I would reccommend anything fully automatic.

Did you ever see the American Shooter episode where Jim Scouten visits Mike Dillon? At the end of a segment, Jim asks Mike why he chose automatic weapons instead of golf. Mike said something to the affect that you don't get a silly little grin on your face from shooting a round of golf.

I had a chance to shoot a couple mags through a full auto S&W Model 76. I got that silly grin too. :D

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Glenn I wish I had a license to own a fully automatic gun,I just have never applied for one.I own several semi-auto handguns and a couple semi-auto rifles but thats about it.All other rifles are lever or bolt and all other pistols are either single action or double action.I'll have to plan some thing.Drop-Shot

14. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol Drop-Shot u dont want a full auto gun unless ur rich cuz they eat up ammo quick so if u want a full auto i recommend having a ruger 10/22 get converted to full auto by a class 2 manufacturer cuz .22 ammo is cheap as dirt

15. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I hear that Maser,the semi autos can get expensive.My brother is friends with a bunch of benchrest shooters there in Houston and some have full auto guns,one had an FAL which shoots 308 ammo.It will not shoot cheap ammo worth a darn so he uses factory rounds,its fun but VERY expensive to shoot.A 22 would be morefun and cheap to operate.Drop-Shot

16. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol imagine someone shootin a 5.56mm minigun at the top speed which is 10,000 rounds per minute :shock: