Ruger 77 ultralight .257 Robts.

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by gator, Aug 14, 2005.

1. gator

gator Guest

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger 77 ultralight?.
    Mostly what kind of accuracy can be expected from this little pencil barreled rifle.

I was all set to order a Marlin 1894C .357 mag. as just a fun plinker (since I have a ton of brass and bullets in .38/.357), when I stumbled on the Ruger in a small gun shop. The rifle was a pleasure to hold and the .257 Roberts round is one of those thats always grabbed my interest.

I've never owned a Ruger bolt gun and I'm a little concerned about the accuracy from this rifle.
    Any helpful input would be appreciated.

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

It will, in all probability, deliver "hunting" accuracy; 1-1/2 to 2" groups at 100 yards... maybe better. You may have to tweak your loads to optimize the groups.

These rifles were made to carry light and easy when hunting; if you want one-hole groups, you need to get a varmint/target gun with a heavy barrel.

3. wired

wired Guest

They're good rifles, and I'm sure you'll like it. As wwb pointed out, it'll give you good hunting accuracy, but it certainly won't be a benchrest tackdriver. If you want to give it a little extra bit of accuracy, a good trigger and possibly a decent bedding job will squeeze a little more out of it, along with tuning your loads to the rifle.

All things considered, that will probably end up being one of your favorite rifles for hunting. I certainly couldn't ask for a better rifle for that job.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

The 257 Roberts will do just a fine job for ya. As with any of the "pencil barrels",don't try to shoot a 5 shot group(at least not all at once). Most of these will get pretty hot after 2 shots and start to spread the group.

As stated above,most of the Factory triggers can use a little help. I've found the Ruger triggers to need a lot of help or just replacement. Of course this is only MY opinion. Yours may be the acception to the rule.

The one down note on this Caliber is, Availabilty of ammo. You can't walk into just any store and find ammo for this caliber. If ya reload thought this will be no problem.

HWD

5. gator

gator Guest

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for something a little better than approaching 2", but thats what I was kind of afraid of. I liked the gun so much I guess I was wishing to get reports of owners equating it to a poor man's Ultra Light Arms or even a Kimber. I wasn't expecting it to scare my 6PPC or other heavy barrels but i'm not sure I would be too excited about a new gun if thats all it's potential.

HWD, I hear ya on the availibility of the ammo but that shouldn't be a problem. Almost all my metallic shooting is done with handloads with few exceptions. I usually have dies and any components I need ordered as soon as can. I buy rimfires and shotshells but rarely rifle ammo.

Damn, I did like that gun though. I might just take the leap and make it my project to make it shoot.

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Throw that piece of s##t Ruger trigger away and replace it with a Timney!

My opinion then... :D :D :!: :!: :D :D :!: :!: 8) 8) :!: :!:

L2S

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I had the chance to shoot a pencil thin barrell Browning rifle in 243 and like it was mentioned several shots in a row caused the barrell to heat up enough that the group opened up but the first and second shot were a super group then the group opened up for the 3rd shot making it 1 1/4 inch 3 shot group,the 2 shot groups were under an inch.Good luck with yours.Drop-Shot

8. gator

gator Guest

Thanks all. I tossed it around for a day or two and decided to give the Ruger a try. I figured with the ability to handload and the other tricks available that it was worth a go. On Tuesday I called the shop and the gun was gone (go figure). Everyone I called said they were hard to find and the price would be higher if/when they could find one so I about gave up. Last night I searched the net for one and who pops up?...WALLYWORLD ! Ordered it today and will pickup next week. I prefer to deal with gunshops but sometimes you just gotta do what works. Also; the price was the lowest of the bunch.

In the meantime I shall get my dies,brass, and bullets ordered.

Thanks again !