Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the Ruger Mini-14s for some time now. I want something that I can have fun with yet occassionaly, hunt a coyote with.

I've read good and bad things about the Mini-14 like it's lack of accuracy, but is that at 100 yrds, 500 yrds, or within 10 feet in front of you.

Also, I know they make a TON of accessories and target barrels for the 10/22, do they make the same for the Mini-14?

Thanks for any help and advice. All is welcome.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm a shotgun guy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes, one of my kids did the Ruger .223 thing with Acc. Systems and he is quite pleased thus far... had a problem but appears resolution will be free and prompt... can't beat that!
///olde :D pharte///

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The Mini-14s I've shot threw what I would call patterns at 100 yards. We used to use them for coyotes in front of hounds but now those who are serious have all switched to an AR-15 variant. There are a lot of mostly cosmetic accessories for the Mini-14 available so one can "mean it out" to their heart's desire. For the price Accuracy Systems is asking for a rifle one could get a base match AR and some ammo and still expect groups at least as good and likely better than those AS guarantees. With a bit of looking one could find a used AR for the price of just the basic upgrade and still be ahead of the game. There are also untold hundreds of accessories for the AR both practical and not. In addition, caliber can be changed easily and I think it is easier to care for and fix in the event of breakage. If one really wants a Mini-14, then AS is the way to go.

·
Registered
304 Posts
awww my favorite asault rifle :twisted: i dont have much info on it on assecories but i do know that they make lots of em and also the mini-14 is far more reliable than an ar15

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I guess everyone has an opinion but from personal usage of both guns, I would take the AR-15 over the Mini-14 any day. Both are about the same as far as feeding and ejecting rounds unless in rapid fire where the AR is markedly better with the AR also having an advantage in cold and other poor weather. It also has a clear advantage in ease of cleaning, repair, and adding accessories.
The only advantages I can think of for the Mini-14 are the availibility of a wood stock for those who have to have one and cost.

·
Registered
304 Posts
well i was referring to full auto fire cuz when i was at my uncles house i was shooting both an M4 and a modified mini-14 and the M4 jammed a bunch of times but the mini-14 worked perfectly

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
No contest, the AR is much more reliable in full auto configuration as it was designed to be fired in this manner from day one. The full auto Mini-14 is an adaptation of a gun that was never intended for this purpose. I have seen the write ups and heard first hand experiences of both and despite the much less expense of the Ruger, the AR is much preferred in law enforcement and military circles. I would strongly suggest a good cleaning of your uncle's AR with an appropriate oil (not grease) used for lubrication. Then use ammo that does not use a ball powder. I have used both in semi-auto configuration and I can get the Ruger to jam during rapid fire long before the AR-15.

·
Registered
304 Posts
well honestly as i was hitting the submit button on the above post i was thinking that the gun i thought was an M4 might have been an M16A1 instead cuz those jam like crazy all the time but anyways i still like the mini-14 better

although those CAR guns are quite cool looking 8)

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
The Mini 14 works well on semi or full auto in that version. The main problem with them is that they need cleaning and proper oiling, or they shoot themselves apart in a hurry...get very loose... A buffer is needed, in my opinion.

I have had excellent results with my SS Ranch Rifle for many years. It has acceptable accuracy.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The M-16 and the A1 variants are as reliable as any of the other types. In the early days, it was thought cleaning was not needed for them and they were even issued without cleaning kits. When this folly was realized, it took a bit of experimenting for the right lubricant as the grease used for decades by the military was too thick. Since these times, the gun has been quite reliable.
As for Mini-14 accuracy, we have found them to be "coyote accurate" out to about 170 yards. 200 yard groups, with a scope, would commonly run over 6" with most ammo. This same grouping can nearly be done with the AR-15 at the same range with open sights.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: re: Ruger Mini-14

luv2safari said:
Wired,

The Mini 14 is far more forgiving in that regard in my opinion.
A lot of rifles are. As long as the AR-type rifles are kept clean, I haven't seen a single one jam. The mini-14 would be better in harsh environments, sure. The tolerances aren't as tight, for one thing. That's how the M14 and the AK47 survive in those environments. As long as the ARs are kept clean, they're just as reliable as any other rifle. If I were ever to get a semi-auto .223, an AR15 with a floated barrel would be the only choice I'd ever consider.

..... and the next person that refers to the mini-14 as an assault rifle will get one wrapped around their head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, let me hit you with another angle.

I like the looks of the Mini-14. Sporting rifle with some wood grain mixed in. Now, the AR, as far as I know, is all black and synthetic correct?

Is there anything else in the mix that has some of the classic look to it with better accuracy and still uses the .223 round?

·
Registered
681 Posts

Maser said:
would u like it to be called a deer rifle then? :lol:
It's neither one. It is simply a semi-automatic rifle that tries to imitate a shotgun, one hole at a time.

If it was used for deer, you might be able to call it a deer rifle, until we smacked you upside the head for using it as such. If it was used in some assault-type operation, I suppose it could be called an assault weapon, though the last time I checked, there are no military forces that issue the mini-14, because once again, there are many other MUCH better alternatives. It's fun to shoot, and it's better than some alternatives if you're in a situation where you NEED a rifle. That's about it.

·
Registered
681 Posts

SShooterZ said:
OK, let me hit you with another angle.

I like the looks of the Mini-14. Sporting rifle with some wood grain mixed in. Now, the AR, as far as I know, is all black and synthetic correct?

Is there anything else in the mix that has some of the classic look to it with better accuracy and still uses the .223 round?
Good angle. Yes, the mini-14 is a heck of a lot classier than the AR-type rifles. I like wood better, too. The only thing I can think of in a semi-auto .223 that would have a classic look to it might be a Browning BAR (if they make it in .223.... I haven't looked). Might be worth checking out.

-edit- No .223 BAR, unfortunately. They would probably sell those like crazy (Browning, take note). The only halfway classy-looking semi-auto .223 I found in a quick search was a Volquartsen, but it ran close to $2000. Knowing the name, I'd have to say it would be worth the money. They sure know how to make tack-drivers :shock: .

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts

..... and the next person that refers to the mini-14 as an assault rifle will get one wrapped around their head.[/quote]

Could I keep the assault rifle Mini 14, if I get it off my head? :wink: :wink:

assault rifle, assault rifle... :twisted: :p (be sure it has a factory 20 round mag) :?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.