Ruger Mini-14

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Anonymous, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've heard many praise the Mini-14 and I've heard many say it's a piece of crap. I know that quite a few prison gaurds use them and a local gunsmith said they're good, but then again, he was just trying to get me to buy it. I don't know really what to believe. What is it that people don't like about them? What is it that people do like about them?

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Bill the first one I had was super accurate at any distance.The second would not hold 3-4 inch groups,and had a crappy trigger.Now accuracysystemsinc.com can take a mini 14 and turn it into a tack driver,but ruger has engineers,why don't they come out with that package.Bill Wilson is a well known pistol smith and his company turns semi good mini's into tack drivers.My complaint is you don't get an out of the box 100 yard shooter.The Houston police department uses mini 14's and has sent a great number to accuracy systemsinc.com and the letter about the performance was great.I just feel like it could be more accurate out of the box.Drop-Shot

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a mini 14 and it wouldn't shoot a 2"group for anything scoped or not at 100 yds. The mini is a reliable gun, I have never had any problems with mine, it has never jammed. However, it nor any that I have seen is very accurate. I am not sure that the mini was meant to be very accurate. They have a very thin barrel and Ruger has been making them for a lot of years and they are still a piece of high priced shit. There are several places that claim they can make these real shooters but by the time you pay all of that you could have bought a very nice AR and had a real shooter right out of the box.
    I do know some law types that carried the mini but most now carry an AR of some type around here.

I put a scope on mine back several years ago and it helped but after the 3rd shot the barrel is so hot it starts stringing the shots. I use mine mainly for a coyote gun and it is good enough for that. I will say that it will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Guest go to accuracysystemsinc.com and take a look at some accurate mini's,I could not get 2 inch groups with the last one I had,I wish I knew about this company before.My brother and mother live in Houston TX and have talked some cops that sent their mini 14 off for accurizing and the results were great,he claimed to be able to shoot 3 and cover with a nickel at 100 yards.My point is ruger has engineers and could build these to be more accurate.Drop-Shot

5. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

DS, the problem with that is it costs. Why buy an over priced rifle that you know you are going to have to spend more money on to get it to shoot decent. Man, for what you pay for a mini you can spend less and get a shooter out of the box. Spend 100 or so more and get an AR and still be less out of pocket than sending that mini off for trick jobs.
    I will sell my mini and it has not been shot much (less than 200 rounds) nor is it scratched or rusty. The gun looks brand new, and functions perfectly.

6. slugmensch

slugmensch Guest

Mini 14...

Another issue with the mini-14 is ammo. They are somewhat finicky with certain types. Don't try to use laquered, steel-cased military style ammo - jambing becomes a real problem. The chamber of this rifle was not designed for the slightly varying tolerances of such ammo (the chamber is a bit too "tight" for this). The AK family of rifles, for example, were DESIGNED for this type of ammo - so they function well with it.
    If you stick to good-quality, brass-cased ammo, though, these issues usually don't apply.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i just had one for about 3 weeks and got rid of it, i was lucky to hit a 8 inch target at 100 yds hell even the target, what i did like about it was that it is semi automatic and it functions great. but shots like crap

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I am looking for a good deal on a mini14 so I can send it off to accuracysystemsinc.com I helped a neighbor put together a m16 look a like and it's nice but not as accurate as I had hoped.part dpms and part bushmaster,looks good but 2-3 inch groups are the norn.Why so many twist barrells,1-6,1-7,1-9 and others.What is best?Drop-Shot

9. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

You should be getting better groups I think. Maybe something is not quite right. I think the most common is 1-9 and the 1-12 is to stabilize heavier, longer bullets. I believe most of mine are 1-9 and they do fine. All of my AR's shoot really well and by that I mean I can put all shots in a group about the size of a baseball at 100 yards with open sights. That is good for me because my eyes aren't what they used to be, that focus problem ya know. Now, I do have several different configs of flat tops with scopes and they shoot really tight groups. My son really likes the AR's since the recoil is so light.

10. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Shipped one to Accuracy Systems yesterday (my son's rifle and $$$, NOT mine!). Updates to follow.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

11. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

hunted with a guy this last wekeend in texas for turkey hunting season who had one. we got his shooting 1.5 inch groups at 75 yards, all factory. i bet reloads would get it tighter.

TxVa

12. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: Just curious. Does "all factory" mean only all factory loads, or that plus "all factory (stock)" rifle? thanks,///olde 8) pharte/

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The mini-14 was never designed to be a tack driver. It was designed as a military and police weapon that is strong and fast handling. The chambers have to be somewhat loose for this application.

If you want fast cheap shooting...spray gun...go to an AK clone. You need to spray with those to have a chance one will end up where you want it.

The mini has acceptable accuracy for what it is and should be bought for what it is. If you want to drive tacks, get a good bolt action. If you are satisfied with a reliable semi that gets close every time, the mini is a great choice.

THERE! My completely unbiased opinion... :wink: :wink: :wink:

By the way, my SS Rancher gets 1.5" groups with good Remington and Winchester Factory ammo. With that steel cased Ruski CR#P I get patterns, not groups. :idea: :idea: You can't expect even the finest rifles to shoot right if you feed them garbage.

14. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The mini-14 was never designed to be a tack driver. It was designed as a military and police weapon that is strong and fast handling. The chambers have to be somewhat loose for this application.

If you want fast cheap shooting...spray gun...go to an AK clone. You need to spray with those to have a chance one will end up where you want it.

The mini has acceptable accuracy for what it is and should be bought for what it is. If you want to drive tacks, get a good bolt action. If you are satisfied with a reliable semi that gets close every time, the mini is a great choice.

THERE! My completely unbiased opinion... :wink: :wink: :wink:

By the way, my SS Rancher gets 1.5" groups with good Remington and Winchester Factory ammo. With that steel cased Ruski CR#P I get patterns, not groups. :idea: :idea: You can't expect even the finest rifles to shoot right if you feed them garbage.

15. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Luv2 that has been my contention for years,my 1st one shot most boxed(20 round) ammo great,I traded that one and bought a brand new one and with any boxed ammo I could not break the 3 1/2 inch group with a scope in a rifle vise.Several friends had the same problem.The gentileman at accuracysystems said he had some with out of dimensions bores,but all that have a true reciever can be made to drive tacks and has many letters to prove that.I think ruger could make all gun that shoots acceptable accuracy.I want to get another to send to accuracysystems to be made to shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups.I know ruger has the engineers to make a tack driver but they stubbornly refuse.When smith&wesson made rifles(most likely howa's)2 of the guys that hunted with us bought each one.One would shoot 1 1/2 inch groups(30/06)with 180 gr bullets The other was closer to 2 1/2 inch groups.150 gr bullets were better but both guns shot differently,the same with ruger mini-14,it shouldn't happen.The houston police department has a bunch of mini-14's,some shoot great right out of the box,others have to go to accuracysystems for work,all can be made to shoot well but why do some shoot great and others shoot sorry?They could fix that.Ruger is a good company and I own many pistols ruger makes,but they have to fix this mini-14 problem.Any way how are things with you?We are almost out of boxes so we are better,the next time you come through give me a call.Drop-Shot

16. berettashotgun

berettashotgun Guest

The mini-14 is a great carbine, but a real crappy target rifle. It is actually much cheaper to shoot than a 17hmr, and 10X more fun. It will work fine on any application it was actually intended to be used on. BTW the 180 series of mine is way more accurate than the 181 series rifle or the mini-30 in the safe. The remy 7400 in 243 sounds much better, but not cheaper to shoot..............

17. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) The kid's rebuilt Mini arrived back from Acc. Systems yesterday, but he's off on a tear through Carolina playing that disc golf stuff, so the gun won't fire for a few more days, doggone it! Since it ain't my $$$ or my gun, I'm just a :shock: curious bystander, but I sure am anxious to see what that little popper will do! ...more later... ///olde 8) pharte/// :lol:

18. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Finally got around to barrel breakin on the Mini 14...went from three inch groups to one inch groups at 50 yards with S&B cheapo ammo. Now, to get a real scope and get serious about an accuracy load... Lord knows when... this guy is a procrastinator!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ///olde pharte/// 8)

19. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I'm dieing to hear how good that mini-14 is,I want to do the same thing.How is the weight?Did the weight change alot?How are the looks?When you get time let us know.Drop-Shot

20. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:cry: :? Well, he has decided on a tactical scope by Burris... of which NOBODY has one in stock!!! :evil: So, it looks like it'll be some time before he gets the rifle/scope combination put together. No problem for him... he's still shooting the blue off my rifles!///old pharte///