Ruger Model 77 Ultralight

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by gator29, Sep 23, 2005.

1. gator29

gator29 Guest

Have tried shooting every conceivable bullet and weight with terrible results. Will not group. The caliber is 257 Roberts. Just put new trigger and free floated barrel. Still no groups. Anyone have any ideas?

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Next are the scope and mounts... :idea: First, I'd try Leupold mounts. What scope are you using?

L2S

3. gator29

gator29 Guest

It came with a Pentax 3 x 9 frontier (?) model scope already mounted.

4. grimel

grimel Guest

Check the action screws. The middle screw should be SNUG not tight. Then try slight upward pressure on the barrel - free floating the barrel isn't always the solution.

5. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Ruger Model 77 Ultralight

Good idea, as these pencil barrels are a bit whippy. :idea:

6. gator29

gator29 Guest

thanks,have done all mentioned. the barrel had tip pressure and shot worse (or just as bad) before free floating. my next step and maybe final attempt is to take the scope off and put a leupold on. this is the only rifle i have that doesn't have a leupold. after that maybe back to ruger?

7. wired

wired Guest

There's only so much you can do to get good grouping out of an ultralight rifle. Shoot it when the barrel is cold and see how it performs. Light barrels can behave kinda weird when they get hot. Normally you'd only take one, maybe two shots when hunting anyway. The scope might be a small problem, but I'm sure it would only be part of the solution. If it does the same with a Loopy, it wasn't the scope. Good luck finding the rest of the solution. With so many variables, it's hard to tack it down to just one or two things.

8. gator29

gator29 Guest

Will do,the only reason i traded for this is i have always wanted a 257 Roberts and thought the ruger to be a good accurate choice. will advise as to developments or lack thereof.

9. wired

wired Guest

Ruger is a good choice for bolt actions. The M77 is a solid performer. I love mine, and most other people that have them do too. I've heard a lot of good things about the .257, but I have not used one myself. If you typically hunt from a stand or any other stationary place, I would normally recommend a heavier rifle with a thicker barrel. If you're like me and you like to move around and enjoy a walk in the woods with your rifle, you chose a very fine rifle. Get the kinks worked out, and you'll love that thing.

10. gator

gator Guest

Just use the CZ :wink:

11. gator

gator Guest

Just use the CZ :wink:

12. grimel

grimel Guest

Wasn't thinking about the UL barrel. Try taking 5-10 minutes between shots. My NEF is good for about 3 shots max before it starts stringing, then only if I take my time between shots.

Oh, and check the scope mounts one more time. I didn't get my Ruger mounts tight enought he first time. Lets say it was ugly.

13. rockchucker

rockchucker Guest

if you cant get your ruger to shoot well and you like the 257 roberts, i'll sell you my rem. 760 pump in 257 roberts. it shoots good.

14. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Gator,
    What bullets are ya loading? The reason I asked this is, recently while reading one of my Reloading Manuals,I saw where they said that the 25-06 was heads above the 257 roberts because the heavier bullets(115 and 120Gr.)worked better in it(the 25/06). Try the lighter ones.

Like others said above,check your mounts. Let it cool between shots. Also clean the CRAP out of it. If the bore was rough to begin with,you may need to smooth it out.

Just some thoughts.....

HWD