SAUM

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 583, Nov 17, 2005.

1. 583

583 Guest

Has anbody here tried out the 270 SAUM cartridge if so is it comparable with the 270 WSM?

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

You know, I haven't seen to many people who shoot the Remington short mags. Around here and I suspect alot of other places they are overshadowed by the WSM's.

3. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

It is like that in this area also. The Marts sell the Winchester chamberings. Hard to find a SAUM of any kind without a special order.

My son uses a 7mm SAUM and enjoys it. He put down two whitetails in about 5 seconds at 120 yards last weekend in a hay field.

Ammo is not readily available. As a result, I have been stock piling brass. There is not a huge amount of loading data available either.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I have several friends that shoot the rem short ultra mags,they reload so ammo isn't an issue for them but if you don't reload you will have trouble finding ammo.The wsm and ultra mags are so close in velocitys that I doubt a deer or elk will know the difference and my shoulder don't know the difference,wsm ammo is easier to find.Thats just my experience.Drop-Shot

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I believe it has to do with the saturation of these short mags and them not having any differentiating qualities. I believe this was a poor decision by the gun makers to bring out sooo many new offerings at one time.It wasn't that long ago Remington brought out the .260 ,now you don't here about it at all.They also ligitimized the 7mm STW , then turned around and created the 7mm UM, which just about killed the STW. I don't see this as a smart move.......