Savage 11FXP3 opinions

Discussion in 'Bolt Action' started by NewtoSkeet, Dec 28, 2004.

1. NewtoSkeet

NewtoSkeet Guest

I just got an 8 gun cabinet for Christmas, for one gun, so am starting the research for more guns. I am looking at a Marlin bolt action .22 (posted in Rim Rifles) and might want something a little heavier for longer range/bigger varmints. I think the Savage rifles are real shooters, this one comes with a 3-9/40 scope. Looking at 3 calibers, .223, .243 or the new .204 Ruger. Any owners, opinions would be appreciated. This will probably be a long search, don't have the money right now, don't need the gun right now and I enjoy the hunt and doing thorough research.

Thank you.

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

N2Skeet,

Don't worry, it won't be long until you will be needing a new cabinet since the old one will have gotten filled. I got a new 8 gun cabinet and wind up kicking myself for not getting a 12 or 14 gun cabinet since I always find myself in the need for a new firearm for a particular kind of hunting and now the old one is filled to the brim.

The Savage is a fine rifle, no question about it, and as accurate as anything else that is out there. All three of mine shoot well and I am looking to add a fourth. The Accutrigger is excellent and only makes the rifle more pleasant to shoot with. Sounds like you are looking at one of the packages though you may also want to look into the heavy barrel models if targets and varmints are the main objectives. The heavy barrel is great for protracted sessions at the bench and varminting since it does not heat up as fast and you generally are not toting the rifle around a lot in these endeavors.

Safe shooting.

3. NewtoSkeet

NewtoSkeet Guest

Mountainview,

Yes I guess for what I am thinking about, the 12FV is also a good choice; a couple of bucks more, but I can purchase the scope of my choice, not Savages's. Most of my planned shooting would be stationary, bench or sitting/prone in a field. If I did opt for the .243 and my friend drags me out deer hunting, Virginia requires you to hunt from a stand with a rifle and most of the upstate NY hunting is from a stand, so the weight is not really an issue. Thanks for the reply. I have tried the accutrigger demonstrator at one of the gun stores and it is impressive.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

N2skeet,

Of the three that you mentioned ,I personally, would only consider 2 of them. I'm a little leary of the NEW THING. Being from the car industry,I learned long ago to never buy a vehicle til its been out for at least 2 years. I usually apply that theory to most stuff. The 223 can be a very good round for varmits and cheap enough for extended target shooting. The 243 is about a versatile round as ever came down the pike. Light bullets for varmits and up to 107 gr bullets for deer size game.Add to this the lack of recoil and you've got a heck of a gun.

HWD

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

N2skeet

Va.only requires shooting rifles from elevated stands in certain counties that lay in the eastern part of the state. Over here in the Mountains,you don't have to deal with that requirement.

HWD

6. grimel

grimel Guest

When did this crap start?

7. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Grimel,

Down east,if they allow the use of a centerfire rifle, they require this and have for about 15 yrs. It's supposed to have something to do with population density and super flat land. I believe their theory is that if you are elevated and shooting at game,you'll be shooting into the ground . Kinda stupid if ya ask me,but I don't make the rules. Kinda like requiring some places the use of only shotguns or blackpowder rifles. I've got a cousin out in the mid-west(Indiana or Il.)that can't hunt with a rifle. She (yes I said SHE)hunt with a Encore pistol in 7-08. Before the Encore came out she hunted with one of those fancy Rem singleshot pistols. They allow the use of these pistols but no rifles??Weird huh!

HWD

8. grimel

grimel Guest

Okay, so it's not Va, but local laws. I have ex-in-laws that live in SW Va and everyone there hunts with a 30-30 or 30-06.

For being a southern state VA has way too many Northern Liberals making laws.

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Grimel,
    They tend to not come down from northern Va for fear of some of us "hillfolk".We aren't as tolerate of big city ways and people who talk funny. Bein's how ya'll are from Tn.,You probably know what I mean by that.
    They don't mess with us too much down here.If they do, we'll raise more H*ll than a pet parakeet,then we start getting pissed... HEHE!

HWD

10. NewtoSkeet

NewtoSkeet Guest

Yes, I am located in eastern Virginia; if you go due east from my house, you'll walk into the ocean in 12 miles, if you go due south, you'll be in NC in about 15 miles. Although I'm not currently a hunter, I am up on the rules, since ignorance is no excuse if you inadvertently violate one. And yes, I am also leery of the new .204, (I bought the last redesigned F150 in 1999!) but (1), I probably won't buy a rifle for at least a year and (2) I am leaning towards the .243 for its versatility. Went to the local store and handled the 12FV, what a nice piece!

11. We don't have any of those BS laws and we are technically a northern state. One of the most rural states in the US by the way. Not all good hunting land is south of the mason dixon :wink:

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey clayshooter i see you are from maine. do they allow semi auto up there.

i have been looking into so fine establishments up there for elk and the deeper throated red stag :D