Savage 99C

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Gungeek50, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Gungeek50

Gungeek50 Guest

I might have a line on a Savage 99C in .243 that is in great condition. Does anybody have one that can tell me about theirs. Do they seem to prefer 100 gr. ammo or do they shoot the lighter stuff accurately also. I'd like to be able to do double duty with this one as a carry coyote gun as well as deer. Anything that I should watch out for on buying a used 99? If I can get it for @ $450.00, should I jump on it or wait and see?

2. grimel

grimel Guest

If it shoots any big game bullet well it can be used on coyotes. Using a 243 you'll not be saving the hides unless your last name is Singer. :p

3. Gungeek50

Gungeek50 Guest

Thanks for the reply Grimel. I'm afraid any time spent by me for coyotes is strictly population control. And I can't claim to have gained much ground there. I bought a heavy barrel .223 last year for target/varmit shooting. But, I'm getting too old to haul logs very far any more! :wink:

4. grimel

grimel Guest

If it's legal in your state, look for dead deer, hogs, gutpiles, etc and set up shop 150-200yds away. You might get 2 or 3 from one pile.

Daytime calling - electric with remote speakers is the way to go! If you can swing it, consider a NEF 223 - much cheaper to feed, short, light, and handy. I know if I had a farm/ranch I'd feel a lot better with a NEF banging around my truck/tractor than I would a Savage 99C!

In all seriousness, growing up we had a feral dog problem. Everyone kept a 30-30, 12ga w/ slugs, Mini-14, 270, 30-06, etc handy when out on the farms. If it didn't have a collar it was DRT. I learned a lot about stopping k-9's. The 223 is dang near perfect if saving fur isn't on the agenda. Buckshot is over rated (can't get them close enough all the time). Believe it or not a 357/44 carbine is MUCH better than a 30-30. The 243/250/257/6mm work great just cost a lot more than 223.

I'm planning a coyote love fest for Saturday AM. Me, my tape & speakers, and a 12ga w/ BB's.

5. goose

goose Guest

hey grimmel why not just set up shop with an old punt gun if you know what i am refering to ..you can take out 5 or 6 in one shot :lol:

6. grimel

grimel Guest

costs too much and don't have that many come in at one time.

Besides at long distance in an area with "regular" gunfire they won't associate the BANG with the dead coyote when the next one walks up. Course it may take some time.

I do know where a den site is. Just need 4x4 to get back to it unless I want a 10 mile hike each way to the drop off point.

7. goose

goose Guest

darn....that would have been some fun seeing them scatter after unloading one of those on them

would have to agree on the cost if they are coming in small groups or a few at a time even.

besides i would not want to be holding one of those things when i touched it off..

hence the reason they always mounted them to the bow of the boat in duck season