Savage Arms 10GLXP3 Package gun with Scope

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by elderberry99, Aug 16, 2005.

1. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I am considering purchasing a bolt action .308 for hunting deer.
    I now use my Remington 7600 pump in same caliber with a Swift 2x7x40 scope and love it, but looking for a change.
    I am considering the Savage Arms 10GLXP3 LH 308 W/Scope-SS14600. The scope is a 3x9x40. The price seems very reasonable, especially next to my Remington.
    Can anyone tell me anything about this scope that comes with the Savage? I cannot seem to find any information on the scope at all. I would hate to buy this rifle and find that the scope was just not worth the purchase price.
    Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

e-berry, it is a Simmons scope on the package guns. I have the 30-06 package (got it used) and found the rifle to be an excellent shooter that fits me like a glove. I got it for lugging in the woods and figured if it got a few dings, no big deal but it is now my favorite rifle. Even if you ain't a fan of Simmons, the rifle alone makes the price worthwhile IMO.

The scope ain't bad though it ain't a Leupold either. Mine works well enough that I don't feel any burning need to upgrade at this point. If I do upgrade, the scope will make a nice candidate for the 22 rimfire that has been trying to follow me home for several months. One thing I will say about Simmons is that their customer service is very good. The previous owner of the rifle had "screwed" up the scope in the process of mounting it so I sent the scope to Simmons and requested that they send me an estimated bill for repairs. Ten days later, a new scope appeared at my doorstep appeared free of charge.

3. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

mountainview,
    Thanks for the feedback on the Simmons scope. I have owned a Simmons scope in the past and was not happy with it at all. I will not say anything bad about Simmons though. I may have gotten one that was just not right for me. I replaced a Ruger Rifle with a Leupold Gold Ring mounted on it for a different rifle that needed a scope and after shelling out over three bills for the Leupold, I had to go somewhat cheap and bought the Simmons scope for the new rifle and was never pleased with it. I may have been comparing it with the Leupold in my mind without realizing it. I am willing to try the Simmons once again.
    I am currently using a Swift 2x7x40 scope on my current rifle and have really enjoyed using it. Before that, I had never even heard of the name Swift Scopes. Now, I am a firm believer of these fine scopes whereas others may find it cheap and lacking quality. Simmons has been around for some time and a few fellow hunters and range shooters have the Simmons mounted on their rifles. I guess I can give it a try again. If it does not work out for me, I guess I can always post a scope for sale and purchase another Swift.
    The package gun I am looking at is the .308. You mentioned that you have a Savage Bolt Action Rifle now and enjoy using it. I hope I will have the same luck. I enjoy the Remington pump that I use now but am a little tired of the hot shells crossing my face from time to time and feel that by getting a LH bolt action may solve all my problems.

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

eberry,

I can imagine that having a shell flying across your field of view or even whacking you in the face would not be fun. I have 2 other Savages (contemplating getting another one since there is one on the shelf at the local dealer that keeps trying to follow me home) and all are better shooters that I am, handloading only makes them print tighter groups. If your rig has the Accutrigger, you will find it easy to adjust safely without shelling out shekels to a smith. Good luck and safe shooting with your new rig.

5. marine one

marine one Guest

elderberry, i was marines for 8 years and have always shot a right handed gun all my life even though i am LEFT HANDED! do your self a favor and get yourself a left handed gun if you are lefty! i have that model savage with the simmons scope. it was a package deal that i ordered in LEFT handed. i showed it to a gentelmen who had 100 confirmed deer kills. he said that was all i needed and he gave it his approval! i really do have alot of respect for this older guy. well i took it out to the range and bada bing! this is one sweet gun for the money in my opinion! this one has an accu trigger! now dont get me wrong it is not a remington700 but i think this gun is very good! the scope, the accutigger is one good package deal! my buddy when with me to the range and he has a remington700. we both hit the target and we are both going to go deer hunting this season for the first time. i reall do believe this gun is sweet and right for me! get left handed version if you are left handed. it makes all the diference in the world! imagine what it would be like to drive a car on the left side of the road! well that is what its like when a lefty shots a right handed gun!

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The scopes and mounts on these "package" deals are throw away items, and are no real bargain. You will want...or need to replace them soon after you start shooting, IMHO. Get a decent no frills rifle with a track record and put a good scope on it. It is common to pay more for good optics than the cost of a rifle. :shock: A decent scope will start at $150.00, mounts at around $30.00. These are the facts of life... :wink:

If you can't see'um, you can't hit'um!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:

L2S

7. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I purchased the Savage 11FL (left handed) in .243 and mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 scope on it after carefully examining other scopes including the Leupold VXII and III.
    For the money and my hunting needs, this is one sweet rig.
    After breaking in the barrel, I am now shooting 1/2" groups of three repeatedly at 100 yards, and that is with the Remington 100gr. PSP Core-lokt bullets. I have tried other brands and tested, but have not had better results then this.
    I am very pleased and am going to sell my one year old Remington 7600 pump in .308 for another 11FL in .308 and mount the same scope on that rifle as well.