SAVAGE MODEL 12FV .308 (a few problems)

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Stallard, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Stallard

Stallard Guest

Being the owner of several Savage centerfire rifles, my new Savage arrived about a month ago, and not without a few problems.
    First problem: During my initial cleaning with Sheath Rust inhibitor the amount of surface rust that was being removed with each cleaning was huge. Each cleaning removed layer upon layer of rust. I felt as if I was re-bluing the barrel.
    Second problem was the poor crown that Savage released. During my barrel break-in and multiple cleanings, my patches were snagging on the crown. Closer examination revealed sharp edges, and poor machining. With that I took it back to my dealer to hear his opinion. He agreed with the bad crown, but was unsure as to the rust problem. Rather than send it back, he suggested that he recrown the muzzle, and bed the receiver(at no charge). That was above and beyond his responsibility, and hopefully this Gun will now shoot up to it's reported reputation.
    Anyone else buying a Savage with a target crown bull barrel; check it out to be sure it is OK.
    I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it since the re-crown due to an injury, but hope to be back shooting soon.
    [​IMG]

2. gator

gator Guest

My compliments to your dealer. I hope this solves any problems you were having. You might still want to contact Savage to inquire about the barrel rust.
    Let us know what they say and also how the rifle performs.

3. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

Thanks for the report.

VERY nice crown job!!

4. Stallard

Stallard Guest

Re: re: SAVAGE MODEL 12FV .308 (a few problems)

I sent a letter attached to the warranty card with the listed problems, and I recieved from Savage a form letter with a hand written note in the comments area, stating,
    " If you have any more problems with your rifle we will be glad to take a look at it."
    I was dissapointed that they weren't more concerned that they had released a rifle with these problems.

Perhaps I was expecting to much.

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

Bummer....

Somebody screwed up letting the gun go out like that, and I'm surprised at the company's attitude toward it. I have a 12FV in .223, and the factory crown looks like your "after" picture.

The "rust" is the after-effects of the bluing process... just tear it all down, give all the parts a good bath in CLP or gun oil, let 'em soak a while, and wipe them all down and re-assemble the rifle.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey wwb,I got a question for ya,have you heard of a gun oil thats supposed to better than anything else and has no odor?I read about it awhile back and can't remmember what it was called.If you have heard of it let me know so I can check it out.Reading about the rust on the savage made me think of it.It also is supposed to inhibit rust better also.Thanks Drop-Shot

7. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

For odorless gun oil, I've heard that Lucas Gun Oil, Pro-tec from Midway, and MPro-7 are pretty much odorfree. I haven't used them myself but that is what I've been told. FP-10 has a kind of cinnamony smell which I find nauseating over time.
    I agree with wwb that the "rust" is likely from the bluing process and shouldn't be a problem in the long run. I've had only one barrel that was in this condition and it turned out to be a very accurate gun with the right load. If the rust really bothers you, you can always do as I did; go stainless!!! If you find rust in there, you definitely have some problems.
    You have a great dealer there in his willingness to fix a problem he didn't have to. I hope that is the answer to your accuracy problem.

8. Stallard

Stallard Guest

Re: re: SAVAGE MODEL 12FV .308 (a few problems)

That is the main reason I buy my guns from an expert rather than a "Deal" at Wally world or some other big chain store. Some things money can't buy, for everything else..........sorry I got side-tracked. That happens when you get some age on you.

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

uglydog it is Impro-7,thanks.Drop-Shot