Savage Rifle Confusion

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by elderberry99, Aug 17, 2005.

1. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I am in the market for a new Bolt Action Rifle in .308 cal. I have been looking at the Savage Arms Package Series. But as I try to read more on the different models of Savage, I get even more confused.
    I am left handed and shoot lefty. I am now using a Remington Pump in .308. I enjoy the pump, but would like to go with the bolt action. The only problem I am having right now is deciding on what model to order. My local gun shop does not really have such a huge display of different guns so I need to give him the information on what model to order.
    I posted once about the package series 10GLXP3 asking what scope comes with it. I was told here that it was a Simmons scope which I have no problem with.
    Can anyone advise as to what model Savage in left hand to purchase?
    As I said, I am using a .308 caliber. I will be using 150 grain sps for whitetail deer in wooded areas of up to but not more then 100 yard shots.

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

With the Savage bolt guns, the 100's are long-action (110, 111, 112) and the 10's are short-action (10, 11, 12) - and the .308 would be a short-action.

To find out what variations are available, go here and look at the "Package Series" guns:

http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

If you want to decode the model designation, it's here:

http://www.savagearms.com/code.htm

Edit....You may look at the other guns, as well, and mount your own scope.

3. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

WWB,
    Are you familiar with any of these rifles?
    I posted about the package series and was told that it was a decent rifle. that is the 10GLXP3.
    I looked at the code and that told me that the rifle I am interested in has Hardwood stock,left hand, package gun.
    I would like to get a little more information as to the quality of this rifle. For some reason, I read the information on Savage Arms web site and do not get the same feel as I do with the Remington or Browning sites. Could it be that I am used to having smoke blown in my face? It seems that Savage Arms are very styraight forward, and do not add a lot of flowers to their ads if you can understand what I am trying to get across.

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

The only Savage I own is a new accu-trigger 12FV. My son had one, and after I shot it, I decided I needed one, too. I can explode charcoal briquets at 200 yards with better than a 95% average.

The stock was butt-ugly, so I got a laminated Boyd's made for a Model 10 and reworked the barrel channel. Much easier on the eyes now.... but the ugly black plastic stock worked just fine.

The finish on the gun is well done, but the aesthetics are just OK... it's left as about a 125 machine finish & blued, rather than being polished smooth before being blued. The accu-trigger is the best thing since sliced bread. I wish it went a little lighter for a varmint/target gun, but for a hunting rifle, you probably won't adjust it all the way down, anyhow.

I wouldn't get a package gun, personally, because I'd prefer less scope than the 3-9x40 mm they put on them... a 1.5-6 or 2-7 is all I'd want on an '06 or a .308... and I'd get a 35 mm objective in order to mount it a little lower.

To make a long story short, the Savage rifles won't make your buddies OOh and AAH when you take it out of the case, but the darn things will SHOOT.

5. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

wwb,
    I have a Swift 2x7x40 mm mounted on my Remington 7600 right now and find it to be a perfect setup for close woods hunting from my 25 foot high tree stand.
    I do not want the package gun, but I like the gun itself. That is why I asked if you can recommend anything in the Savage line other then the package gun keeping it around that same price range minus the scope and mounts.
    My Remington is in the classifieds in the local paper as of today and I need to make up my mind soon in case the Remy goes quick.

6. wwb

wwb Super Member

See what kind of price you can get on an 11FL (synthetic stock) or an 11GL (hardwood stock) and weigh that, plus the cost of bases, rings, & scope of your choice, against the package gun price.

7. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I just got off phone with my gun dealer and he can get me the 11GL for about 60 less then the list. He tells me that the scope on the package series is only woth about 30. He does say that they never had anyone bring back a scope for repair so far on the package series.
    Now I had another thought come into this hollow head of mine about changing from a .308 to a 7mm-08. I am told it is less felt recoil and is still a very good deer cartridge for my max distance of 100 yards. It will shoot much farthur out but I am not in need of such ranges over 100 yards.
    Any thoughts on the caliber?

8. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: Savage Rifle Confusion

For me, that would pretty much end the debate; as long as you don't have to reach out there, the .308 is a better choice than the 7mm.

The difference in recoil between between the 7mm-08 and the .308 aint worth spittin' at.

9. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

wwb,
    I appreciate the time you take for the replys. I must sound like a fickled person that cannot make up his mind.
    I have been changing my calibers for the past few years hoping to arrive at my perfect round. I am not getting back into reloading again because I have gotten rid of all my presses and equipment. I just want to spend the day in the woods during deer season without being beaten up and when I want to target shoot, my grandfathers .22 comes out of the closet for that.
    In reading on the forums which sometimes too much information can be a bad thing, I am reading more and more on the .243 for taking deer. I used that caliber some years ago in a Ruger M77 and was shocked at the absense of recoil. I would love to go back to this caliber again but worry that it may be a bit too small for close in woods hunting. I hunt from a treestand at an elevated level of 20+ feet so bullet travel is not an issue. What I worry about is the bullet, even a 100 grain one might be too fast for my hunting. Any thought on that?

10. wwb

wwb Super Member

A .243 is, in my opinion, the absolute minimum whitetail cartridge. It's pretty well suited to pronghorn-sized animals, or some of the smaller whitetails like they have in Texas (and they say everything is bigger in Texas.... HA!) I'm not sure what size the animals are in your neck of the woods, but 200 pounds field-dressed is pretty common in northern Minnesota where I hunt, and at that size, the .243 just doesn't throw a big enough chunk of lead.

For some calibers, Remington makes a "reduced recoil" load... it has a little less poop than the standard load, but at 100 yards, that's not a problem.... I don't know if the .308 was one of the calibers they made it for, though.

Edit.... a quick internet search turned up this -

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_managed_recoil.htm

11. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Elderberry,

Whle keeping up with your posts on this, I've been asking myself"why not just buy a 243?".I haven't said anything because you seem set on another 308. But now that you started it.............BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!
    I've hunted with a 243 for the last 25 years and have only shot one deer more than once. All have fallen within 50 yds. Though I own a number of other rifles,this one will get pulled out for a hunt faster than any of the others. The 100 gr loads offerd out there will do the job just as well as 150gr out of your 308 and not tear up near as much eatin meat.

Good luck and good hunting(for game and a rifle)

HWD

12. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

wwb,
    I did not mention that the deer in our area are very small. I took a nice 7 point buck last year and he weighed about 120 dressed. I know that sounds small, but that is what we have in North Carolina. I am originally from the North and our deer there were the size of cows just about. When I moved to NC and saw my first "nice sized" buck charging out of the woods, I hesitated on my shot only because I thought it was first a dog coming out of the woods until I noticed the horns. My wife's uncle at the time told me that the buck was considered a nice size and I would be hard pressed to find larger down here. This has now been over 20 years ago, and the deer are still the same size of a full grown great dane. That may be stretching it a little but not much. After being down South for over 20 years now I find myself looking at a deer crossing my property and saying "wow, nice size deer", but still they are very small compared to most other places.

13. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

huntswithdogs,
    You are right about my .308 tearing up some good eating meat. The short distance I had to shoot my deer did a number on his shoulder and ribs. I have gone down in caliber size starting with the 30-06, then to the .270, and then down to the .308. Sooner or later I will find whatever it is I am looking for. I had one bad experience with a .243 and a deer. About 20 years ago I had a Ruger M77 with a nice Leupold mounted on it and it would shoot a hole in a dime at 100 yards. I took it on opening day into the field behind the house and soon after the season opened, the deer came running out and across my path. He broke into the clearing and stood broadside to me about 60 or so yards in front of me. I aimed, fired, and the deer was knocked off his feet. I set the gun down and waited for a few minutes. All of a sudden the deer began to shake his feet and before I could pick up the rifle, chamber another round into it, the deer was gone. I tried tracking the deer only by the direction he ran as there was absolutely no blood to be found anywhere. I tried for the entire day to look for the deer but had no visible trail to follow. I felt terrible that I had hit the deer and was unable to harvest him. I was feeling as if it was a senseless kill. I have been to safety school as a kid and all my life believed that you do not shoot unless you are sure of your target and of the kill. Two days later the deer was found with two hole in him. One where my bullet went in, and another where it went out. The holes were so small that there was no blood trail to follow. I felt terrible. I was so careful with shot placement.
    About a week or so later I was once again sitting in an area where the deer came through almost every day. This time with my wife's uncle. We set up in prime areas where I had a perfect leg rest for my .243 bolt action. It could not have been more then 1 hour when a nice heard of deer moved into the field. I set my sights, took my half breath and held and fired. The deer stood and looked at me and then went down to the ground and out of sight. I thought to myself, he was mine. I pushed another round right away into the barrel remembering what had happened a week or so previous and was not going to let that happen again. All of a sudden, another buck steps out into my shooting path. Again I sight, breath, and shoot. I could not see if he went straight to the ground or not this time but knew there was no way I could have missed him.
    I waited about ten minutes or so and began to collect my two downed bucks. My wife's uncle never moved from his spot watching the entire event. I first went to the sight of the second deer and began to look for him. No blood, no deer. I figured he had to get away from me but did not figure how I could have missed such a shot. That was okay. I was still excited that I at least had the first deer laying in the weeds. I went over to the area where I had shot and again no deer. No blood was there either. Now my wife's uncle decided to come over to the area. He was laughing at me. I was so upset that I had two deer down and could not find them and he was standing there laughing at me. He explained to me what he was watching and that is was the darndest thing he had ever seen when I was shooting the deer. The first deer dropped to his knees and walked back into the heavy weeds and then took off without a scratch. The second deer was never hit either. I was very puzzled then. We went back to the house and set up a target at 100 yards. I took 4 shots at the target and never hit the bull. I was well over a foothigh and to the right. I come to find out that when my gun was in my house sitting on the shelf waiting to go hunting in the morning, my wife had knocked the gun down and knocked the scope so far off that I could not hit a barn if I was inside it. Needless to say she never bothered to mention it to me in fear I would get mad at her. Well guess what, I was ripping mad. The problem was that I did not find out until a week or so after all the problems happened. The day I missed the two deer, I cleaned the gun and took it down to the local gun shop and sold it for a huge loss thinking this gun was not to be used again for hunting. I was already feeling bad enough that I shot one deer and could not find him until it was too late because it was such a small caliber bullet I used. And then not being able to hit the other two deer again because it was a small caliber. But after finding out that it was not my fault or the fault of the caliber that I did not have meat on the table, it was too late. The gun was resold to someone else the same day I sold it to the gun dealer.
    Now with all the writings about the .243 being a good caliber for deer, I am finding myself wanting another .243. I enjoyed it while I had it. You can bank on me never leaving my gun on a shelf again with someone else in the house.

14. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

sounds like you need to make known to your wife that she really should consider one for a present! :lol:

15. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

elderberry99 i sent you a private msg

16. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Guest

When shooting such short distances, I shoot head or neck exclusively. No need to worry about destroying meat that way.

17. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

gwp4ever,
    The head or neck shot would be great if I had clear sight of either. The deer was standing sideways of me abd had his head in a mix of brush and branches. A clean shot to the head would have solved my troubles but it was a little too risky and I do not believe in shooting into the brush, even if I can see the deer's body in plain site. Too much worry about deflection and wounding the deer. I was able to take down a very hefty 4 point by putting a 1 oz slug from my shotgun right into his eye as he was running right at me. I was perched in my treestand when he broke out of cover and headed my way. The 12 gauge took care of the problem very quickly and there was not an ounce of meat wasted. That is the preferred shot but in the real world, I need to make the decission as it comes to me.
    I am now 53 years old and in all my years of deer hunting in the North and South, have never had to shoot a deer more then once to put him down. No, I am not that good, just that patient!

18. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Elderberry,

I feel your pain on that one. I shot a deer a few years ago that would have been the largest that I'd ever killed. He was coming down a trail and stopped with nothing but his head and neck sticking out of the mountain laurel. I had a shot of less than 100yds and took a bead on his neck right where it connected with his shoulder. Rifle went off,deer went down and slid to the bottom of a hollow. He tried to get up and I let fly with another one into his shoulder. After he laid there for a few mintues, I gathered up my stuff and went to get him. When I got to where he had lain ,I found blood,hair and bone but no deer. I heard some noise and looked in that direction and there stood my deer! Head down,bloody foam streaming from his mouth and nose and blood running down his side. I decided that I wasn't going to shoot him again,'cause he wasn't going far. He staggered around the ridge and out of my life.
    I looked for that deer the rest of that day and the following 2 days. Never did find him. I never hunted with that rifle again and sold it within 6 months. The caliber you asked? Would you believe a 300 WinMag shooting 180 gr bullets?

Oh yeah,while looking for the lost deer,I killed 2 more,with one shot each from my trusty ole 243.

Stuff happens!!!!!!!!!!

HWD

19. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Huntswithdogs,
    I visited my gun dealer Saturday and had a nice heart to heart chat with salesman who happens to be a nearby neighbor of the next county over from me. He was telling me he hunts with the .243 and never had a problem with the caliber. He uses the 100 grain boattail from PMC.
    Needless to say, I told him I wanted the Savage 11FL in .243 caliber. I guess it will arrive sometime this week . Now I need to make my decission of scopes. NO, I am not spending $350.00 +for a scope I will use one or two times a year. I am however considering the Nikon Monarch UCC 2x7x32 scope.It will be close to the $300 mark but I cannot go with the Leupold V-Xlll.
    Some people enjoy spending all that money to buy the best scopes on the market but I will be in close cover and beating up the rifle with all the brush and branches getting in and out of my treestand.

20. Outsider_10FP

Outsider_10FP Guest

I have a Savage 10fp in .308.
    I can smoke a baseball at 600 yards.
    I bought the Savage for LOooooooong range shooting 600 Plus.
    Outta da box sub MOA, I got the heavy (bull) barrell.
    As for Optics.... Time of day hunting, $ , and Preference is the main factor. I mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 MilDot, $275.
    Excellent glass that dosent break the bank.
    I would Love to have a Luupy VXIII but for a cool grand, the Nikon will work just fine. UNLESS It wont let me see the target at 1K. I will find out this month (Sept). I just got teh Savage in July.

I have a Rem 700 in .243, I can smoke a baseball at 325 yards.
    I shot a deer with that .243 two years ago, one shot one kill.
    Either will work. either is a deadly round. it depends on your markmenship.

I also live in NC,but on the Eastern Part (Morehead City).
    I.. DONT LAUGH... have a Hi-point 9mm Carbine Rifle, I like hunting Yotes near Jacksonville. It puts em down with one shot at 40-60 yards.

Maybe my accuracy is beeter than average, I dunno, but you can kill anything with a well palced .22LR. so caliber is not much of an issue at close ranges.
    Yes, 100 yards is close range. Hell and SKS will kill a dear @ 100 yards and a WHOLE lot cheaper to shoot and buy.
    I hope I added to yer confusion LOL.