Savage

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 8pointduck, Oct 7, 2005.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

OK, Is it just me or do you think Savage is trying to refine there guns. They are comming out with redesigns and new innovations such as a redesigned detachable magazine.Is the Stevens line going to be there lower end stuff? Just a thought.....

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I think you are right 8point,the new savage's are nice looking rifles,they most likely needed the nicer looking rifle market.I'm waiting to see how the savage/stevens rifles pan out,there sure were alot of them on the self at 1 of the local gun shops,I counted 7 and the guy that runs the gun dept said they had about 10 in the back.One of the other gun shops only ordered 5 and sold out in one day of a sale.If you hear anything good or bad about them let me know.Drop-Shot

3. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

The model 200 has become a fairly good seller in this area as a starter rifle. A gunshop owner friend of mine told me today he ordered 5 and as sold 3 of them . He will be ordering some more very soon. I got on Savages web sight and they anounced that Stevens was going to be there economy line , and they were bringing back the Fox brand name for there flagship guns. In my opinion , Savage is looking to be the major player they were so many years ago.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Have you heard anything about their use in the field?How accurate?Drop-Shot

5. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Well with Savage being one of the last American made rifles and their accu-triger and their new lines, I'd say they are doing pretty well. They make a real nice rifle at a fair price. The quality is much better than the Japanese Winchesters and shoot great. I am glad to see them doing this.

Speaking of Savage, I am hunting this year with a Model 99 in 358 win. Check out this cover I made for the stock.

[​IMG]

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thats a dandy leather guard levergun and I really like your caliber 358 win.I too have one but its a browning lever,very accurate.Savage is working on the nice looking rifle market and I think they will take their fair share.Have you heard any accuracy reports about the stevens rifles?I saw more gray rifles lined up again at a local gunshop and know they will disappear like the last ones.Did you get your elk?Take care.Drop-Shot

7. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

No I have not heard anything about Stevens.

No I did not get my elk YET. I am going back up this weekend and will be there for 5 days. I am working on topo maps right now. :wink:

8. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Hey DS. Looks like the 200 has got that old Savage accuracy. I don't know the Stats but a guy that bought one in 7-08 came by and told us the gun was a real shooter. I think its worth the money for someone who needs a rifle but not alot of cash

9. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I think those knew savage's are a good rifle even if you have alot of money! :wink:

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point and levergun when I can I just may have to get one,I asked the sales rep at one of the gun stores here and he said he had 1 returned for inspection,only fired sometimes,thats 1 out 33 sold,the only other complaint was a cracked stock.Thats not bad! 2 out of 33 had complaints,I'll take those odds.They were sent back to the factory and promised a 2 week turnaround worst case,1 week turnaround at best.One needs to find its way in my safe.Drop-Shot

11. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

As much as I'd like to get one, I'll stick to my leverguns. :D

But, I just might go out and get one of their bolt action 22LR. :wink:

12. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

What I would like to see from Savage is for them to bring back the 99. I would most definitely buy one.

13. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

What I would like to see stevens do is make some 25 stevens rounds and bring that back. that is a cool round and a neat little rifle. :wink:

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

If they would bring the 99 back I know I'll get one,they would be pricey though.I heard the profit margin was too low so they stopped them,with the same quality as before I'd get one.Drop-Shot

15. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

WEll why not get one now? Plenty out there and it would be an original. If they ever did come out with new Savage made in America 99's, it would make the price of our originals go sky high! :D

I picked up my 358 for $700 bills. Not bad considering they go for $900 and up. :wink: I got off of Auction Arms.

16. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

PS
    here is a picture of it with the cover and sling I made for it.
    [​IMG]

17. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Levergun I plan to some day,99 would look great in my safe,that 358 in a 99 savage is hard to come by and alot of 99's I see at gun shows are so worn that I wouldn't want waste my time or money.I had bought a savage 99 in 300 savage in the early 60's that was about 10 years old and never sold.Lost in boxes in a Western Auto and one day it was found and I was the first person to see it,put it on law a way and killed more deer than I can count and quite a number of coyote with that rifle,open sights.I traded it for a car.I will have to get another one day.Drop-Shot

18. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I've seen some cheaper than that. The only thing was I didn't have the money at the time to get them :x

19. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

The next ones going up in value are the 250-3000.

20. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

They are pretty hard to find aren't they :?: