Saw a Model 70 in 300 WSM explode next to me today

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by thumper723, Nov 11, 2005.

1. thumper723

thumper723 Guest

I was out at the range, testing choke and slug combos in my Mossberg 500, and this man and his son set up on the two benches next to me.

From right to left, Me, Man, His son.

He was sighting in a NEW (first trip to range) Model 70 in 300 WSM. First group after getting a rough sight in was tight, at the 25 line, then for the next group we moved both targets out to 50. He shot 1 round, made an adjustment, shot second round, souned fine, looked like it hit the target, shot third round BOOM!

Barrel exploded, peeling back like one of the exploding cigars in looney tunes. There was a LOT of copper about 2-3 inches back form the muzzle.

The barrel looked like its rifling was good in spots, and almost nonexistent in other places in the 7 or so inches of barred that was now "exposed".

I watched him fire the three rounds and I saw him do NOTHING unsafe.

What the heck happened?

He was shooting Winchester 300WSM facoty ammo, not sure on the grain size.

After this happened, a couple of old timers said that there have been a few in the shops that blew up for no apparent reason.

Fortunately, in what could have been a very bad situation, no

Your ideas/opinions?

Edited for weird HTML tags

2. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

i hope mine doesnt blow.

3. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

If he was reloading it could of been that he loaded to much gunpowder and caused to much pressure in the chamber which blew it up.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

With factory ammo the only reason I can think of is a barrel not cut correctly,the mod 70 has been the backbone of winchester and IS NOT A CHEAP GUN,I own 1 and have cleaned several for friends,there good rifles,the barrel is most likely miscut,not a straight cut.Glad no one was hurt,winchester should be happy about that,they let a bad one get out of the door,that don't happen often.Drop-Shot

5. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

This one is interesting. I have seen a number of really catastrophic failures in my time but we could almost always either determine the cause or atleast a very educated guess. We have even tried to duplicat SSE but never hav...that's another story itself....I have never seen a barrel mushroom as described. Blockage is nearly ruled out because when blocked they usually bulge and sometimes split. Factor in that pressures are the loest at the muzzle end by a substantial amount and it tends to make me think a defective barrel. I wonder if it just split evenly or along the rifiling lines...where they were cut. I hope he sends it to Winchester ...I'd like to hear their answer.

6. thumper723

thumper723 Guest

I've seen the results of a 30-.06 chambered in a 25.06 (how he closed the bolt is anyones guess) and I have seen too hot of loads in shotguns.

Like a 3-1/2 mag in a 2-3/4 chamber. Bulged the @&$t out of the barrel, but it did not pop.

I was looking at the 300 WSM as a possible next purchase, but hearing that this was not the only 300 that blew is making me think back to the -06 for my do-all rifle.

The only close thing I have seen to it was a M-60 barrel that had an apparent misfire or dud, that had just enough juice to cycle the action. But that just blew the suppressor (I think that is what it is called) and the last couple inches off, and it was a near the end of a full can in full auto.

7. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

The only thing I can think of that would do this is if the barrel metal hadn't been hardened correctly and the bullets were galling the bore, ripping copper off the bullet as it went out. A couple shots like this would maybe narrow up the bore enough with built up copper that the next went through like a high-speed muffler pipe expander, and with the barrel already being too soft it just couldn't contain the forces. All supposition I know, but I sure do like to try to figure things out. Any way, glad no one was hurt. I guess I've always taken for granted that we get good (or at least safe) rifle barrels. Looks like nothing is for certain!

8. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

When the muzzle end blows, there was something in the bore near the muzzle. He may have had a very rough bored barrel and had a copper jacket shed itself a bit within the bore, leaving a restriction in the barrel.

Winjammer quality sucks! They need to take these farces off the market until they clean up their act. My 3 Safari Express rifles I bought in 416 Rem and 375 H&H were disasters and would have gotten someone injured or killed if used for DG hunting. I think the new Mdl 70 design is very good; Winjammer just can't make them correctly as a mass production weapon, it seems. :?

I look at the quality of my three pre 64 Winchester Mdl 70's (one is a 3XX serial number) and wish for days gone by. I have to say that my Mdl 70 Safari SS/Syn in 375 was an excellent rifle...so I sold it... :oops: :(

9. Maser

Maser Super Member

i have never seen a gun barrel explode like a exploding cigar either but when i have seen one blow up it usualy just either breaks in half or in 3 or 4 pieces

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Sounds like Pat and L2S have figured out what happened.I don't remember the website I visited but they had pictures of recievers,barrels and revolver cylinders that came apart,I was shocked at how many were manufactoring problems,one was a charter arms bulldog 44 special that had a cylinder hole blown out and topstrap blown,the cylinder chamfer was below minimum,too tight for the bullet to even get to the barrel,that could happen to a barrel too,way too tight.When I get a new gun I always pull the trigger and hope for the first box or so and then get contented with the rifle.I have heard from Lilja website(famous barrel maker)that some barrels will never smooth out and force shreds of copper off a bullet due to courseness,either way winchester needs to buy the shooter a new rifle and new pair of underware.Drop-Shot