Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase the Thompson Center Omega .50 caliber muzzleloader in full camo.
I noticed that the company selling them (mail order) offers the scoped version for an additional $50.00. (Pine Ridge Scope). I understand that these package scopes are not that good to begin with..
I was wondering if it was worth getting the package and just use it as my shots are in close cover wooded area and no more then 50-60 yards.
If I purchase the rifle alone, I wanted to mount a 4X camo scope that would match the rifles camo. I don't think any higher power is really needed for the muzzleloader at these ranges.
Any ideas of what to do?
The muzzleloading season is only one week long, and I will not spend a bundle on the optics. I have done that with my rifles already.

· Registered
162 Posts
I bought a CVA Kodiak magnum 50cal from Cabelas with the
2.5-7 Pine Ridge scope as a package. I've only shot it a few times so far, but my initial impression is that it's a nice scope for the few extra $$$ - better than one that you'd get in the same price range from Burris, Tasco, or Bushnell. The weaver style mounts it comes with are nice and easy to use. It has good click adjustments, I don't think they're 1/4 MOA clicks like on rifle scopes (maybe 1/2 MOA)- but you don't need that on a muzzleloader since consecutive shots aren't MOA consistent anyway. It's not a "one hole" grouper.
If you don't go with that scope combo- then a 4x is fine. Muzzle loaders-even today's "magnum" in-lines, are at best 200-225 yard shooters, and usually much shorter like you said.
For closer in shooting, a wide field of view is more important than big magnification.
Another good alternative is a 1.5x4 scope. That gives great FOV at it's low end for woods hunting and shots on moving game, but you can still make good shots out past 100 yards with it set on 4x. Plenty of smart woods hunters equip their
30-30's with 1.5x4's and the 30-30 is a close in rifle too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.