Scope newbie--Dumb questions

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by jkvirginia, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

I'm going to be shopping for my first rifle scope for anything larger than a .22 in the coming months, getting set up for deer season.

I know next to nothing about the various optics companies, and was hoping for input. I've picked up that Leupold is very well-respected, but many of their lines are well out of my budget. Are there any producers that I should avoid like plague? How about "good for the money"? Or are scopes strictly a "get what you pay for" proposition?

What I'm looking for is essentially a decent variable scope (3-9x) for a semi sporterized Mauser rifle. Will be used for some target shooting, deer season, and maybe blasting a few 'chucks in the offseason.

2. grimel

grimel Guest

The biggest differances between Leupold/Burris/Nikon and Simmons/Tasco/Bushnell can't be seen in the store.

1) L/B/N are sturdier
    2) L/B/B have better light transmition - you won't see this in the store, but at 0600 with dawn breaking that nice 8pt at 50yds is in no danger with a S/T/B while it's pretty much knife time with a L/B/N

Wal-Mart usually has a 2-7x or 3-9x Leupold/Nikon in the $180ish range around here.

Another choice is Ebay/gunbroker.com/auctionarms.com and patience. I've bought 2 Leupolds for $245 total this year (one 2x and one 4x fixed). Leupold has a forever warrenty so unless cosmetics is a big deal to you it's not much of a risk.

3. Grendelrob

Grendelrob Guest

grimel hit the big differences.

You do get what you pay for. I had a Simmons scope on my 30-06 and it died out after 2 seasons (~50-75 shots total with practice and sighting). With my experience you don't notice a huge difference once you get into the Leupold/Burris/Nikon range, but you will notice a difference between them and the cheap buys.

Rob

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

GUYS,GUYS............The Bushnell Elite series is top of the line .Yes I see the rest as not so great ,but the Elite line , especially the 4200's are tops.

5. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

Okay, so let me make sure I've got this lined up....

Leupold, Burris, and Nikon are the interchangeably "top line" makers.

Simmons, Bushnell (except the Elite line, which is trying to move upmarket) and Tasco are interchangeably "second-string" and roughly equivalent?

And from what I've heard, BSA is a waste of good greenbacks entirely?

I'm looking at the Loopy Rifleman line... a 3-9x for under 200 with a lifetime warranty sounds up my alley.

6. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Another scope worth mentioning that wasn't is the ATN (American Technologies Network Corporation), they specialize in Military Nightvision scopes and accessories but do make some very nice day scopes. My friend has a ATN Pro 3-9x55LU on a Savage .223 and a ATN Pro 4-12x60LU on an Armalite AR-10. Both scopes are very sweet, the clearity of the optics are very impressive. Both scopes come with bullet drop calibers in different calibers (.223,.308,30-.06,270, 7 mm Mag,.300 Win mag). MSRP on the 3-9x55LU is listed at $399.95 and the 4-12x60LU at $499.95, but you can probably look around and get them alot cheaper. I think they are alot of scope for the money.

Here's the link to their site if your interested http://www.atncorp.com/

7. grimel

grimel Guest

I use BSA and NcStar for rimfire, 22 hornet and such class rifles that won't see heavy duty (range queens) AND as a cheap way to test a concept (scout scope) - MUCH cheaper to put $30 into a NcStar scope to find I don't like something than $250 for the Leupold. Test it cheap then buy good if you like it.

8. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

So do you think a BSA or equivalent would be up to .223 or so ammo? A bit hotter than a .22 hornet, but still nowhere on a .30-06 level of recoil. I'm also thinking of getting an H&R Handi-rifle for turkey and 'chuck hunting in that caliber and I don't feel like putting a 200 buck scope on a 150 dollar rifle lol

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

jk,

It isn't outragous or uncommon to put a $1,500.00 scope on a $600.00 rifle. Example: Zeiss 3X12X56 on a Ruger 77 or Remington 700 BDL.

If one has just plunked $$$thousands$$$ for their dream hunt, it doesn't pay to go economy class on your optics.

On the other hand, there are excellent moderately priced scopes around these days. I would strongly consider the Leupold VXI or Burris Fullfield II lines. You can find them for $165.00 to $199.00, and they will last you a lifetime...remember, you might want some day to move that quality scope to a bigger and better platform. :idea: :wink:

IMHO...stay away from BSA and lower end Tasco, Bushnell, and Simmons. Their medium and upper end scopes or OK. I don't have much good to say about the Bushnell Elite 3200 on heavier recoil guns, though; they shake apart. The 4200 is a good scope.

I have used Bushnell Banner line of scopes on many different rifles over the years and have not had one fail, by the way. :D

10. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Guest

11. goose

goose Guest

just a note on those mausers... my dad has an 8 mm mauser and after about 50 shots through it a 60 dollar tasco is junk.

it can't hit the broad side of a barn. the optics are esentially shaken around to the point that the crosshairs kind of float where they want to at this point.

if your looking for a scope for the mauser i would go with leupold hands down in my opinion. They are built like a tank when it comes to scope quality.

check out ebay you can pick up a vari x 1 pretty resonable which is better than a riffleman in my opinion.

if your looking to spend around 200 or a little better like 200 to 225 you can pick up a nice variety of vari x 2's sometimes even a smaller vari x 3 with adjustable optics

if your talking a small caliber like a 223 or 243 or even 270 for a varmint gun i would try looking around for a tasco exp model.

they are lifetime garunted they have an oval lens so you can mount a 44 mm lens on 33 mm heigth and they have 99 percent light transmission and more eye relief than the leopolds

a good 1 to 7 power you can pick up around 60 and a 3-9 for about 70 to 80..

the ones i have seen were awsome and the only reson i did not buy one is due to the fact i picked up my riffle with a leopold on it. if i had to buy a scope on a budget though this would be my first pick just due to the features that come on it.

read some reviews on it and take it into consideration for your non magnum rounds...if it is a manum though don't second guess a leupold

just my opinion

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I don't know if I could ever drop 1200.00-1500.00 on a scope,I own 7 leupolds,1 older redfield,old tasco on a marlin 44 mag,and am wanting a titainum nikon.With all the scope choices mentioned on this thread I still could not drop 12-1500 on a scope.Good article Kelsey on scopes,I enjoyed it much and I wonder how hard does the 30-378 kick?Drop-Shot

13. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

I have a Fullfield Burris 3.5x9-50 with a Ballistic Plex, it is mounted on a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Mag. The facts actually are that I bought the scope with a regular + reticle and didn't like it and Burris took my scope and put in the Ballistic Plex and I like it a lot. If you shot a 7mm with a 175 grain configuration they have exacting ballistics to fit, thus the sight in is easy from 100 to 600 yards. I shoot a 165 grain Federal Premium Sierra Boat Tail cartridge, so I must figure it out myself -- Burris has sent my a letter telling my how to do this with my scope. They are really great and will honor their forever warranty with quality work in only a week or two.

Most of my elk, deer, and antelope hunts find me shooting at 300 + yards to get my game, thus, I zero in at 200 yards. Last year my first elk was shot at 334 yards.

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey Mertonleeper,how is that Hogue stock working out?Drop-Shot

15. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

Drop Shot: The Hoge Overmolded Stock is unreal. And it even reduces the recoil a lot. The whole stock must take up some of the recoil and it is impervious to destruction or marks that the wood stocks eventually get. Also, I will not have to worry about the pressure put onto the stock with the tripod because it will not blow out on me like the factory stock. So, pass the word that this company puts out a great product and is one of the cheapest prices around. Semper Fi. Mert :D

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thanks Mert,Thats my new stock.Drop-Shot