Scopes and eye relief

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by The_Cook, Oct 17, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Okay I have come to the conclusion my barska scope is just to darn close to my eye to shoot with my 30-06 third time in three months that I have had my eyeglass lens poped out by the scope by recoil.

That said I'm in the market for a new scope, how do I determine the distance that my eye has to be from the scope from just statistics. Or is it one of those things where I just have to go out and try each one out?

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Try moving it forward a little before buying another one. You should have 2-3 inches of eye relief. Be glad it was just the lense,it could have been stitches and a vicious headache.

HWD

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Cook, while the actual distance is governed by your eyes, you can also check the specs on the scope eye relief. Most of the econo type scopes are 3" while Leupold is up to 4". HWD also makes a good point on the mounts.

I shoot a 3" eye relief Simmons scope on my Savage and have not been thumped in the eye yet (shoulder after a shooting a box of ammo is another story). Another thing I do, since the 30-06 is not too bad in the recoil department, is hold the foreend firmly so the rifle can't pivot during recoil and let the scope clip my nogging.

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

eh..... 3" is average???
    I got about 1"- 1 1/2" of space on my barska scope.
    I think I just have a really cheap scope. thanks for the headsup

5. Stallard

Stallard Guest

Re: re: Scopes and eye relief

Try the Sightron if you're serious about a new scope. Generous eye-relief, excellent optics, at a price between the Weaver and the Bushnell legends. Check Midway and read the customer reviews before you buy.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?tabid=10

6. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

After reading the post of eye relief, I took out three of the rifles and shouldered them and had the wife actually measure the distance between scope and my eye. All three rifles measured between 3" and 3 1/4" eye relief. Never been bitten yet! The scopes are two Nikons and one Bushnell.

7. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: Scopes and eye relief

Yup.... if you peruse the specifications in something like a Midway or Natchez or Cabela's catalog where they carry a whole slew of scopes, you'll see that something in the neighborhood of 3" is pretty common for eye relief.

Is it possible you have the scope and eyepiece grossly misadjusted? With your eyes completely relaxed, looking at a distant, featureless background (like either a uniformly grey, overcast sky or a clear blue sky), raise the gun to a natural position and look through the scope without trying to focus at all.

There should be a full field of view... moving your head either closer or farther away should produce the "black tunnel partial field of view" If the "black tunnel" is present at your normal position, move the scope to where your natural position produces a full field. Once that's done, try the "looking at the sky" trick again; the crosshairs should be sharp without making any effort to focus on them. If they're not in sharp focus, loosen the locking ring ahead of the eyepiece, and screw the eyepiece in or out a couple turns. If the cross hairs are getting sharper, keep retrying and turning in the same direction. Quit and go back one step when they get less sharp, then jam the locking ring against the eyepiece to hold the setting.

If they get worse on the first try, you're going the wrong direction (this statement is included for the benefit of those with single-digit I.Q.s). Turn the eyepiece in the opposite direction, and proceed as above. The important thing is to refrain from trying to focus on anything.

8. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Informative posts keep em coming, just to reasure people I just have a really cheap scope Cough"BARSKA"Cough.

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

wwb hit it on the nose,I went with a friend that wanted a good scope with a high end magnification of 14 to 16,he ended up with a leupold VXlll 4.5-14 with the boone and crocket reticle,he found most scopes were not clear but he didn't know about adjusting the occular lens for his eyes,once he adjusted the sharpness he fell in love with 2 scopes,the leupold (which he bought) and the burris signature,There are good buys out there in alot of makes and models,get the best you can afford and you won't be sorry.Drop-Shot

10. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Leupolds on average have a great eye relief advantage over the rest of the field. The 3X9 VXII has some of the longest eye relief on the market...even more than the 2X7 or 1.5X5. The Loopy 3X9 at 3 power has almost 5" of eye relief, and that still isn't too much if shooting some of the hard kickers.

"Magnum Eyebrow" can ruin a shooter for life...flinching.

11. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Ehehe... just to fill in the picture a bit, the "Barska" scope I have was the replacement scope I bought at "BIG 5" for $35 dollars, because my .22lr marlin 60 had a 4x airrifle scope stuck on it by the original owner. The barska was great for the marlin, but then again i didn't have to worry about kick and really didn't think about it till the third punched out eyeglass lens =)

Okay people here it comes the question you have been waiting for. What's a good scope for ranges 100yrds to 600yrds, durable, and weatherproof? Think cheap people as cheap as you can get.

12. wwb

wwb Super Member

I wonder if the "Brand X" that you have is actually a rimfire scope.... they're intended for use on .22s, and have a short eye relief (since there's little or no recoil). If so, I'm amazed that the recoil of the '06 hasn't trashed it yet, as the internals of a "rimfire" scope aren't usually designed to stand up to that kind of pounding. Maybe that scope isn't as bad as you think.

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Burris Fulfield II 3X9 Ballistic Plex...on line or in D houses for around $165.00. They can't be beat for the $$$, IMHO!

14. Gunwoman

Gunwoman Guest

I got to try something fun today. Hubby is always on me about my Leupolds because I won't have anything else.
    We laid 3 deer rifles out tonight at dusk, all 3-10X50, a Weaver, Leupold, Redfield. I looked through them all and what a surprise I got. The Redfield won hands down.
    I just bought myself another one off Ebay.
    :shock:

15. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

Well, Gunwoman, you have to let the old man win once in awhile or he will pick up his marbles and go home!!

As long as you get to shoot - all else is okay!

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I have owned several redfields in the past and were satisfied with them but the newer redfields are owned by the same company that owns simmons,the Meade company.I don't know anything about them other than they are made in the Phillipenes and in Japan.Leupolds are american made in Oregon and if I need service it can be done quickly or a replacement will be sent within a week or so,along with the fact that Leuplods are so rugged I can't help but love them.There are great scopes on the market now from all manufactors and we as a consumer never had it so good.Use what ever works for you with a decent eye relief of 3 inches or more.Drop-Shot