shooting a tighter group

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by marine one, Sep 15, 2005.

1. marine one

marine one Guest

how can i shot a better tighter group? usually my fist and second shot are right in the bulls eye and all other shots are all over the target! i am a very good shoter not to brag but i am not a novice! i was in the marine corps 8 years and was always an expert shot! i am now shoting a savage 30-06 with a scope and with accutriger. do i need to let the barrel cool a few minutes before i take my next shot. i am using sandbags to steddy my self. please help

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Check the barrel bedding for a pressure spot. If you find one, scrape it off...start here...

L2S

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Letting the barrel cool is not a bad idea at all. The light sporter weight barrels on many hunting rifles get very hot after touching off 2-3 shots and will "walk" the rounds on the target. I like to take an extra rifle to shoot while the other cools down.

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I agree with the last post, letting the barrel cool good idea :D

5. RWH24

RWH24 Guest

It may also depend where you are resting the rifle on the sandbags. Wood or Synthetic stock? You did not say. Move the sandbags further to the rear nearer the mag well. Get away from the very front of the forend.

6. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I recently purchased a Savage 11FL in .243 with a Nikon 3X9X40 scope. I place very tight 1/2" groups with standard Remington PSP Core-Lokt 100 grain ammo. I too had the same trouble with my first couple shots being right in the X, but after that, I would lose a shot off the mark until I started letting the rifle barrel cool down for a few minutes.
    After shooting a three shot group, I removed the bolt, cleaned the barrel and took a 100 yard walk to check and reset my targets. Once I returned, it seemed the rifle barrel was cool enough to continue. After doing this several times, I found that I was shooting 6 to 8 groups of three shots each and all were no more then 1/2" groups. Several groups had two holes touching.
    I found that barrel cool down is very important when sighting in the rifle.
    You also get a great workout walking back and forth to your target area!

7. Mike 257

Mike 257 Guest

I find that if I let the barrel cool, I get better groups. It takes me almost 2 hrs to shoot a box of 20.

8. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Aside from letting the barrel cool, there are things that cost money, some DIY, or a gunsmith. One thing I heard about is "Floating a barrel" some proccess that involves epoxy to take your barrel off of the stock leaving only the action area touching. From what I read it's a pain to DIY. Might want to have a pro do it.

The cheapest long term way to get tighter groups is to handload. I've only shot one set of my own reloads so far, but the improvement of groups compared to factory can already be seen. With experimentation, I'll prolly be able to fine tune it even more.

If you want to get really geeky about things, best thing I can advise is maybe talk to some benchrest shooters. They'll prolly talk your ear off about ways you can improve accuracy, and also how to blow your pay check for the next couple of months... years.... :lol:

9. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

:D The most important and least attention is paid to shooting from a rest that is exactly the same each time. I have a commercial rest that I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse that has an 'L' Shaped pin that protrudes out from the rest and sets on the end of the stock each shot. After each shot it is amazing how far the recoil moves your rifle. You just place the pin back so it barely touches the front of the stock and each shot is the same. I would highly recommend that you get a rest that has these features and of course shoot with as cool a barrel as you can get. A rest of this type will allow you to make exacting changes in your elevation & windage.

My Weatherby Vanguard Stainless in 7mm Mag & 165 Grain Federal Premium from this rest shoots groups under a half inch at 100 yards. Good luck to you in your search for perfection. Semper Fi