Shooting an old .22

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Finch, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Finch

Finch Guest

Skip to para 2 for the question. If you like stories, read on from here.

There is a beautful old Winchester model 63 semi auto .22 lr in my family. My great grandfather used it to kill varmits in his fields in North Carolina, my grandfather hunted small game to feed his family with it. My father is not a firearm enthusiast and has largely ignored the gun. Luckily it is properly stored and I have kept it oiled, so there is no rust. The value has likely dropped considerably since the gun's furniture was scorched in a fire and has a deep cherry look to it (not burnt) on one side, and the factory scope is clouded and nearly unusable. My father did take me shoot it once. I was 10 and he knows very little about firearms. He estimates the guns last cleaning and oiling to have been some 6-8 years prior to that, when his father gave it to him. It stove-piped every third round. After this is when I took charge of keeping the gun maintained. He never did take me to shoot again though. Well, its 14 years later, I've been out on my own for several years now, and have discovered I very much enjoy firearms. I think he's forgotten the gun even exists, so I think I'm going to ask him to let me have it so it will be loved and used like it should.

I'd like to plink with the old girl at my local range. I intend to thouroghly clean it. The bore looks beautiful and the action is smooth. I intend to get some snap caps and check the action and feeding. Is it wise to shoot an old gun like this considering its age and that its been out of production for so long? I worry about parts availablity if something fails. Am I worred about nothing? Should I drop the coin to have it looked over by a gunsmith? I know my pump 12ga in and out, but a semi auto is more complicated than I'm used to.

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Value is more than just the cost of something. This is a part of your history and it seems you want to carry on the guns legacy.I would definitly look into a gunsmith that has some knowledge of this gun,and yes I would shoot it if the gun is in good shape.

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

If you have a decent knowledge of firearms, a good taking apart and eyeballing everything should do. Check for shiny spots on metal cause they indicate rubbing, stick some oil on it. Parts are parts and should be easy enough to find, at least the ones that wear out easy like springs.

After 100rnds or your session which ever comes first, makes sure to give the gun a good cleaning. One thing I have noticed with .22lr ammo is that the powder doesn't all burn up so you get alot of powder dust in the thing.

If you want to be really fastidious then drop the money for the gunsmith. But I haven't taken mine to a gunsmith yet only because I don't know one in the LA area.

If you want an old .22lr story look for my post :D