Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever tried to turkey hunt with a unchoked shotgun???

i have a mossberg 590. i was wondering how tight of a pattern it will hold. i'll probably get out to the range early next month, but was just looking for info.

could i have a smith thread my barrel so it will accept chokes?
or would that be real $$$$$$

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your gun has a choke-it is a fixed choke. Older shotguns that do not have screw in choke tubes always have a choke. Many are marked on the barrel what kind of choke it is (usually with a combination of astereks). If you don't see them, take it to a gunsmith or buy a gauge that can tell you what choke you have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, many many years ago. Learned the hard way. You can take an inside caliper reading but chances are your talking about a slug barrel, cyld. bore. 12ga. (.000) where a Turkey choke could be (.060 - .070) for lead shot. So you will wind up shooting wide patterns, even if your close to target 20 yards wind up with shot in breast meat or maybe wounding the bird.
Now these days with the advent of heavi-shot, this is much more dense therefor requires less restriction so a modified choke (.020) to perhaps full / extra full (.030 - .040) is required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.