Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever make a silencer? I live in texas and was wondering if thes was ok. Will I get sent to the pen or will I have to pay a 10dollar fine? :lol:

I want to put it on a .22 and varmint with it.

If noone hears it they cant catch me right?

· Registered
681 Posts
I would love to put a small silencer on my squirrel rifle. Whenever I have the money to put into the paperwork, I'm seriously considering it. I don't like wearing ear protection when I'm hunting squirrels, and I think a modest silencer would be just the thing for me.

If you're ever wondering if it is something you might get sent to prison for, just go ahead and assume it is. It's not worth doing it.

· Registered
143 Posts
spiffy said:
Anyone ever make a silencer? I live in texas and was wondering if thes was ok. Will I get sent to the pen or will I have to pay a 10dollar fine? :lol:

I want to put it on a .22 and varmint with it.

If noone hears it they cant catch me right?
without a tax stamp, you're looking at 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.

· Registered
283 Posts
If you make a silencer you won't get much chance to use it as they don't allow guys in the slammer to bring their guns with them.

There is an exception however. In Oregon, where I live it's relatively easy to get a Class III permit. Then you can buy a silencer. Maybe you can make one, but I don't think so. I think it's got to be made by a licensed gunsmith.

In gun shows here, you can buy, legally, a silenced machine gun. Until the Clinton years they were pretty cheap too. But not now. You are looking at 20 grand today.

You can get silencers at the shows too. They fit very nice on a Ruger MK I, II, or III. A silencer for a Ruger .22 pistol will cost you about $900, that includes the license fee.

You can also get silencers for other rifles and calibers. But to make a really silent gun, use a weapon that shoots subsonic. If you shoot subsonic .22's in a silenced Ruger MkI you will only hear the bolt cycling. Click, click.

Of course you cannot take possesion of the gun, or silencer until your class III license clears. That takes about three months.

At the outdoor shooting range here, you often see guys banging way with their machine guns. Usually a submachine gun of some kind. They put their targets at 15 or 20 feet, and then miss most of the time. They also get sore thumbs jamming all of those 9mm rounds into those long magazines.

I was in the infantry for many years. Got to shoot all of the automatic weapons that I wanted to. The one that's really fun to shoot BTW is the M2HB .50 cal.. I shot the M249 a lot too. We fired the M-16 full auto daily. There are newer guns now. I got out in 1990.

You know what? If you want to hit something put that M-16 on "single", then take careful aim and fire. Full auto is just a method to make the S-4 guys work overtime bringing up more ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.