Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Yes, you can use a SKS for deer. First off, be very careful about your local laws concerning ammo capacity. Most SKS's come with a 10 round mag and most states laws say gun can't hold more than 5 (I think). If the shots are not to long of a range the 175gr would be a good choice. If the hollowpoint you are talking about is the fully jacketted type by Wolf then dont use those! Stick to the soft point bullets. You might want to try different rounds in your gun, to see which is the most accurate, because a well placed accurate shot is the most important.

· Registered
85 Posts
I was not aware that any manufacturer is offering 175gr ammo for the 7.62X39. Do not confuse it with 7.62X54R ammo meant for Mosin rifles. Please enlighten me if I am incorrect.

As Asylum Keeper said, shot placement is everything. External ballistics are slightly below a .30-30 Winchester round. Within appropriate range and correctly placed, the 7.62X39 will kill whitetails.

W-W and R-P offer soft point hunting ammo. I can't comment as I have never used any. I have taken deer with handloads using 125gr Sierra .308 SP bullets as well as 125gr Sierra .308 FPHP bullets intended for the .30-30, fired from an SKS. The FPHP is my favorite.

Happy Hunting!!

· Registered
1,427 Posts
I haven't seen 175 gr bullets for the 7.62x39 but have seen 154 gr. The few people I know who have used them were not happy with them as the velocities were so slow there was very little expansion. Most I know use the 124 gr soft points and a very few use the same weight hollow points. The hollow point users use them only when filling out antlerless tags so the deer are fairly small. From experience, they also take only full broadside shots as the penetration of said rounds is rather limited.

· Registered
456 Posts
Not to start something... but I just can't call an SKS a deer rifle anymore. I've used one on a hunt briefly in my youth and it was a very unsatisfactory experience. It will do for close range meat collecting but it wasn't hunting to my tastes. I agree that if cost is a concern there are better tools that are just as inexpensive and a lot of used guns that are just as cheap that will do many times better. I've actually bought a Savage 30-06 cheaper than an SKS and there are no flies on that combos reputation as a deer gun. The SKSs that I've messed with just weren't terribly accurate at any range (50yds!) and the ballistics of the 7.62x39 rounds are unimpressive at best. A rusty Winchester 94 or even a muzzleloader are better all around deer guns in my book- better yet a used $200 bolt gun in anything over a .243 is lots better.

· Registered
133 Posts
Re: re: SKS for deer?

hodgeman said:
A rusty Winchester 94 or even a muzzleloader are better all around deer guns in my book- better yet a used $200 bolt gun in anything over a .243 is lots better.
243 is a perfectly fine deer cartridge. i do not own one, and the only time ive seen one used on deerwas on Ted Nugent's Spirit of the Wild. i remember on on episode he shot a nice big 8 pointer at 300 yds and dropped it with his 243 BAR

a Mosin Nagant wouldnt be a bad choice. 7.62x54 is up there with the 308. or one of those NEF single shot shotguns and use slugs.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason I wanted a SKS for deer is that my shots are less than
100 yards. They are cool too!!! I missed an opportunity on an SKS in 90% condition, folding stock, bayonet, 5,10,20,30 round clips, scope and mount, a guarantee to shoot well for $125.

OUCH!!!!!

I shot a deer in the head at 175 yards with a NEF single last year!
Only a Confederate could do that!
I know it is dumb to do such a thing but I was confident of my shot. :p :p :p

· Registered
681 Posts

spiffy said:
The reason I wanted a SKS for deer is that my shots are less than
100 yards. They are cool too!!! I missed an opportunity on an SKS in 90% condition, folding stock, bayonet, 5,10,20,30 round clips, scope and mount, a guarantee to shoot well for $125.

OUCH!!!!!

I shot a deer in the head at 175 yards with a NEF single last year!
I know it is dumb to do such a thing but I was confident of my shot. :p :p :p
That's all I needed to hear. I'm done. Screw it.

· Banned
3 Posts
wow i certainly wouldnt try shooting a deer in the head cuz the vitals that ur suppose to aim for are a much bigger target :roll:

anyways an sks would work just fine cuz 7.62x39mm is a .30 caliber just like most all deer rifles minus the added power but still well within practical deer hunting specs

· Registered
918 Posts

spiffy said:
.....I shot a deer in the head at 175 yards with a NEF single last year!
I know it is dumb to do such a thing but I was confident of my shot.
Yeah, and I shoot 'em right in the eye so I don't spoil the mount. Grow up!!!!

· Registered
162 Posts
Oh boy- don't mean to offend the Longhorn sensibilities. :lol:
"Texas Brain Shot" is an old term for shooting an animal right up the rear - a butt shot. Some consider this to be unsporting or uncivilized.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.