Smith and Wesson .38

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Seymour Hiney, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Seymour Hiney

Seymour Hiney Guest

I love the Smith and Wesson model 10s but I want something for concealability. Anyone have expiriences with the model 37?

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

They are like any other J-frame S&W revolver, reliable and rugged. I hate the triggers, the ones I've shot are heavy and full of creap that makes it more difficult than it should to shoot accurately. A bit of time with a stone by someone who knows what they are doing can go a long way towards helping that. I also don't care much for the grip, it is a bit small for my hand. I find a 2.5" round butt K-frame to be as unobtrusive and much easier to shoot plus it has an extra round and is quicker to reload with either speed loaders or ammo strips.

3. Seymour Hiney

Seymour Hiney Guest

Hmmm. Well, what about Charter Arms? Anyone have experience with those? And can you shoot .38s in the Mag Pugs or not?

4. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've owned two Charter Arms guns, the first was a Bulldog from the mid-1970s and the second was a Pathfinder from a little earlier. The Bulldog was in 44 spl and it was a horrendously terrible gun to shoot. The trigger was extremely heavy and full of creep. I'm surprised David Berkowitz was able to hit anything at all with it, even from up close. The Pathfinder was very similar plus it had troubles keeping in time. Every couple of hundred rounds and the cylinder would not rotate fully and one would end up with the hammer striking between rounds. I don't know if that would have been a trait for the Bulldog, I sold it after firing the two boxes I bought for it. I have shot one of the models of 38 spl. after Charter Arms came out of bankruptcy the first time but it still was not a quality gun to me. I haven't bothered with them since as their price new is about the same as the price of a used S&W or Colt snubbie and the latter two are known to be reliable and quality pieces.