So Many Scopes So Little Time

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by EasternBloc, Jul 7, 2005.

1. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Guest

I could use some advice. I just purchased an FN Patrol Bolt Rifle in .308 with a 24 inch barrel. I now need a nice scope. I would really like to get into long range shooting so I would like a decent variable magnification scope toping out in the mid-to-high teens.

A good friend of mine is pushing hard for me to get "the best." He wants me to buy a Zeiss or a Swarovski or a Valdada. I do have a Valdada 6X42 on a Russian Tiger and that combination is fantastic. However, once you add the variable power element into it and push up the magnification you can't get those scopes for under $1,200.

While I want a great scope I do not want to spend a grand.

I haven't been able to get out there and look at scopes yet. What are some good ones out there? Has anyone heard of Shepard Scopes or X.O.T.I.C. (Xtreme Operations Tactical Instruments Corporation)?

Are those high-end scopes that much different from cheaper models? If so what is the difference?

2. gator

gator Guest

EB,
    Thats a very nice rifle and it deserves a top notch scope. I believe there are alot to choose from depending on the price range your in. Certainly those you mentioned as well as Leupold,Kahles,and a few others. You might want to look into the New Redfield line as well. They are now owned by Meade and I just read that the New Redfield line has been completely revamped to compete with the top makers. Apparently some new design approaches in the rifle scope field. Only time will tell if they succeeded but at around $600 you may find this another option.

3. wired

wired Guest

A little extra money spent on a scope is money well spent. More expensive scopes are made with better materials and more attention to detail. I've heard of quite a few cheap scopes breaking from just the recoil of a rifle. I've also heard of really expensive scopes taking quite a beating. A friend of mine shoots .50BMG and he has gone through a few scopes before. He put a Zeiss or Kahles (can't remember which) scope on one, and it took the recoil just fine. Typically, the optics will be clearer and will collect more light. If you want to see what I mean, go to a gun store and look through a cheap generic scope, or even something like a Simmons. Then, look through a Swarovski or a Zeiss.

It's extremely hard to go wrong with Leupold. They make good scopes, and a lot of them are affordable to the common man (which is why they're so popular). Burris, Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, Leica, and a few others make excellent scopes, but some of them are far from cheap. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the scopes from Springfield Armory so far, but I have yet to try one out.

Very slick rifle you're finding a scope for! You've got good taste.

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) While I can tell the difference between expensive bourbon and my usual brand, I just cannot see ANY difference in the visual quality of the high dollar scopes as compared to my Burris or Leupold. And I have (corrected) 20/20 vision.
    JMHO///olde 8) pharte///

5. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Guest

Thanks for the replies. I am still torn. My cousing had me looking through weavers, Leupold and Ziess. There definately is a brightness and clarity difference with Ziess, but is it worth the premium? He was also trying to sell me on that concept that I should put together a package matching the quality of the rifle to a quality scope. But then again my property tax bill is due in two weeks. :D

What are your favorite scopes out there?

6. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: So Many Scopes So Little Time

You halfway answered your own question there, both in one sentence. Talk about efficient!

If you can tell there's a brightness and clarity difference, all you have to decide on is if that difference is worth the extra money. I wouldn't say that the Zeiss is that much higher build quality than the nicer Leupolds, but I'd believe that the optics might be of a bit better quality. An Audi A4 is a damn nice car (IMO, anyway), but you can pay more and get an A6, or pay even more and get an A8. Is there any build quality difference between them? Probably not. Will one be faster? Hell yeah.

7. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Guest

Well if I want to go for an A8, I may get the Valdada IOR 9-36x56 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope. I love the clarity of the Valdada scopes.

8. semiauto

semiauto Guest

I've got a Barska 3x-12x-50mm with an illuminated reticle and I love it :D