Speeding the brass drying process

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by The_Cook, Sep 20, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I use water, soap, toothbrush, and neckbrush to clean my brass inside and out. Problem is that I am to impatient to wait for them to dry out. Can I stick the wet brass in my oven at 150-350 degrees for an hour or two to dry them quicker?

I know you guys will suggest a chemical cleaner and/or tumbler, but for now finances really can't facilitate the purchase. :(

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

A buddy of mine drys his pistol cases in this manner. Keep the heat low and don't overdo it.
    I will caution on this one point though....DO NOT GET IN A HURRY!!!! Hurrying in reloading makes some strange and bad things happen. Take your time. Gonna shoot on Sat.? Start your processes on the Sun.prior( or right after you get back from shooting).

Just a little bit of advice from someone who hurried once too often!

HWD

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

HWD is correct on patience being a virtue wrt reloading. Just about most of the mistakes I have made were the result of speeding the process up (and then spending even more time undoing the result). Best way to speed the air drying of cases is clean them as soon as possible after shooting them and several days in advance of actually loading the cases. Store in a dry place and they will be dry and ready to go when you want to load primers etc.

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Roger that on the keeping the reloading part slow and steady.
    As for the brass drying, 150 degrees for about an sound okay?

5. Bobshouse

Bobshouse Guest

Re: re: Speeding the brass drying process

Yeah, as long as you cook them on both sides...oh, and let cool before handling!

Actually, I dry mine in the oven, any temp is fine, brass doesnt melt till it really gets up there...but, do let them cool a bit before you pick them up....I usually quick cool mine by tossing them in a pan of water.....doh!!!!

6. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Thanks much bobhouse :D