Spotting scopes

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by KaBar, May 22, 2005.

1. KaBar

KaBar Guest

I'm looking for a spotting scope that I could use to see .30 caliber bullet holes out to 200yrds (if thats possible). But I'm also not looking to spend an arm and a leg. Are there any spotting scopes that can be had for around $300 for what I'm looking for. I'd probably use it for varminting too. Thanks for the help!

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Kabar,

I've got 2 spotting scopes.One is a cheapo Tasco that I had for about ten years and the other is a Bushnell. Both are up to 60 power and work well. If you're wanting to use one for varmit hunting or spotting game,go with one that has a lower magnification. These are generally smaller(compact) and the lower power is easier on your eye.

HWD

3. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Yesterday I went and looking at, if I remember correctly, a bushnell. The scope was way too big for my tastes. Unfortunately not enough places were I live carry spotting scopes so it looks like I may have to order off the internet. Which means I won't be able to test it first. So as many reviews as possible would be great! Thank you.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Kabar,

On an earlier post( about the 308),you talked about what scope to put on it. I got an email today from Midway and one of their specials is a 4.5 X 14 Burris and a compat spotter for around $375.00. You might check this out,it may be just what you're looking for. I know of 2 guys who have gotten this same deal and have been pleased with both the scope and spotter. I believe the scope was called a Fullfield 2.

HWD

5. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Thanks. I got the same e-mail from Midway but didn't see that. I'll have to look it over again.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

It was listed under the EBlast heading.

HWD