Shooting World Forums banner

Spring shooting?????????

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  260rem 
#1 ·
:D Things have been very quiet here lately, it bothers me when our guys aren't writing something. :evil: Is anyone doing any shooting this time of year???? I am planning to shoot a few more gophers this week. Got 80 last Sunday. When spending time in the east last March and early April, I did shoot some starlings, crows, and feral pigeons. Mostly with a smoothbore. Chucks should be coming out there now, but usually I didn't shot them til late June. Anybody doing any shooting??????????????????????????????????? :D

#2 ·
Turkey season opens next Sat(April 11). Hopefully I'll be shooting about 7AM or so that morning!

I did something to my shoulder recently so I've not done much shooting of any kind. I did take a couple of shotguns to the range recently. I'd told myself to leave the 3.5s in the range box, but did I listen to myself? NOOOO! I had to shoot one of them ,knowing full well that my shoulder wasn't going to like it! I DID, IT DIDN"T!!! Needless to say, I'll be toting my 20ga this year. I'm not real sure I could handle 12ga loads of any kind right now. Reckon I'll have to make an appointment with a doctor soon. Just my luck, he'll wanta go in there and screw up all my hunting until next spring...

HWD

#3 ·
Hunts, when you use your 20 ga. what choke and loads do you use. Never shot a gobbler with a 20 ga. When I used a shotgun, I used one of my 12's. This year I have a 10 ga. in BPS. Not because I needed it but at the time I wanted it, and I had never owned a 10. But I use my 20's some for grouse and phesant. My 20 is a 3" rem. 870. I think the tightest choke I have is an IM. :D :) Good luck on the 11th. Our turkey season opens then, but I think the hills may have too much snow to get around. Plus we are hopefully finishing the remodeling that week, then I will be free for the rest of the year. :twisted: Hope you heal ok with out the dr.'s influence. :wink:

#4 ·
I'll be shooting either Rem Nitro#6s or Fed #5s, both in 3''. My choke is an Extra full by Colonial(I think). These were the onliest loads I had when I went to the range. Both did well at 35 yds, but if I can get ole TOM to come inside of that,he ain't gonna have a prayer! At 20 yds, my pattern was all well within a 8.5 X 11 piece of printer paper. Not quite as tight as my 12s with their turkey chokes. They're more like rifles at 20yds and you better be on your A game if a tom gets in close. That 10 sure oughta put a hurtin' on a turkey. Have fun!

HWD

#5 ·
Not been getting much real trigger time in BUT I've been to the range "mentally" so I hope that qualifies here. The Mrs says I've been "deranged" as a result but I don't think that qualifies. :lol:

Went with one of my former employees to hunt some preserve pheasants on one of the few decent days we've had when I was not tied up. Great dog and good companions with some very good wingshooting as icing on the cake.

Plenty of work to be done at the office so not much time fer getting out. Even then the weather has been off and on (more off I think) which has also kept me from heading to the range. Need to check if I drew a turkey tag but it is doubtful I'll be able to break free even if I did draw :( though I thought the tag app was a good enough excuse (and had some extra coin at the time) to warrant picking up a Rem 1187 which was appropriated by my son. Hmmmm, reckon I need to get one of my own now :lol:

Club reopens in couple weeks and with it the archery and trap ranges :D

Been perusing the gun catalogs and have been scheming as to how I can fill that last empty slot in the safe. This has been a vexing question as to how best to fill the slot.

Already planning ahead for fall though fishing season opens pretty soon so that is another distraction.

#6 ·
Being a CPA, this is my busiest time of the year. As soon as tax returns and 1st quarter financials are finished, there are hogs waiting for a visit. We don't have a turkey season in the county we hunt, and going south puts us in snake country. So I settle for hogs and buy a turkey at the store. Good luck to you turkey hunters.

#11 ·
Wyo. Coyote Hunter said:
:D Hey, 260, my kind of guy. Lots of guns and ammo for one hunt. I thought I was the only fool that did tricks like that. Besure and let us know how that 338/378 works out. :? :mrgreen: I have been having thoughts about one of those among a dozen other weapons. :twisted:
It hammers the crap out of them, the 338/378 hitting sounds like a brick falling out of a plane and hitting something soft (250gn pill @ 3300fps :twisted: )
Their will also be 300win mag, 338lapua, 243's more .22's & shotguns and what ever else anyone feels like bringing, we do a lot of yippy shoots of a morning as we spotlight late and the Goats don't come out until the afternoon, we a lot of day time Ferreting as well (taking two Staghounds)

#13 ·
Yippi shoots = long range coke cans etc
Yep we got ferrets and the Staghounds hunt over them with the shotguns, we don't use them on big game but it great fun watching them chase down a fox when spotlighting at night :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.