Springfield M1A

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by wired, Feb 9, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

I've got one that is up for sale, and was wondering about how much I should expect to get for it. It's the standard model, and I put a camo synthetic stock on it. I've had it a few years, but ever since I got my Ruger M77, it has outlived its usefulness. It's in excellent condition, with only a couple hundred rounds fired through it.

2. gator

gator Guest

I'm not sure how the stock change might affect things, but my guess would be right around $1000 as you describe it. New standard models are on Gunsamerica starting at $1150-1200. Again the stock is a variable to me. I love my M1A and I'm amazed at it's accuracy. This past weekend I took it to the range and all 5 of my 5 shot groups were 2 1/2" or less. The smallest group was 1.243" with the factory open sights. Reconsider selling it unless your absolutely sure.

3. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, it was definately hard deciding to part with it. They are amazing rifles, to say the least. It just didn't have a use other than filling space in my cabinet. Every time I had a use for it, I ended up grabbing my Ruger instead for various reasons. I called around to get estimates, and about the highest I got was $800, and that was with some bargaining. I went ahead and took it, because it was the best offer I could get. A buddy of mine gave me an offer of $500, and I tried really hard not to laugh at him. Okay, maybe I didn't try hard enough....

Anyway, I almost walked out of there with a Ruger M77 Compact in .243, but I have better things to do with the cash at this point (such as saving up for the upcoming marriage and stuff). I'll just buy one of those later.

4. gator

gator Guest

Sounds like you did OK since you did some research first. Different regions of the country can also affect price up or down for certain guns. What might be a hot item in Missouri may not draw much interest elsewhere and visa versa.

Good luck on the marriage !