Stock too short?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by riflecat, Oct 23, 2005.

1. riflecat

riflecat Guest

I bought a really nice used Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .243 last year, and promptly put it in the safe. I was finally going to put a scope on it recently, when I realized that the stock had been cut down to a 12.5" length of pull! I feel like an idiot, but the job was done extremely well and the recoil pad looked original so it never clicked to check the LOP.

My question is what should I do? Should I shoot it as is? Should I put another slip-on pad over the existing pad to increase the LOP to a normal dimension? Should I trade it and get one with a full size stock? Should I save it until my 3-year old son can use it some day?

Let me know what you would do in this case.

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

If I really liked the rifle, probably I would get another stock put on. Either replacement factory or aftermarket, your choice depending on taste and funding. You could probably get a synthetic one from Cabela's or Gander if you wanted to go that route. That would be the most eye appealing way to bring it back to proper shooting dimensions for you. If you knew that your son would be using it in a few years, maybe save the present stock for him to start out with...just some thoughts.

3. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:lol: And there may be more rugrats in the picture in days to come! Hang on to that short stock! And congrats on having the rifle I want/cannot afford.
    ///olde 8) pharte///