Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres the deal. I bought a 700 adl in 30.06 recently and i bought a gun cleaning kit so when i shoot it for the first time i will be able to clean it. I was looking for the wire brush to clean the inside of the barrel and i couldn't find 30.06, but i saw a 30. caliber rifle brush so i got that. So, i get home and i cleaned my 20 gauge cause i went and shot it last week and i also decided to try my new wire brush for the 30.06 to make sure it fit... well i stick it in there and its really tight and i can't even get the brush in half way.. so im guessing i got the wrong brush, but the question is, what caliber brush should i be using? because i thought 30.06 falls under 30. caliber rifle? or is that 30/30? anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for your help.[/u]

· Registered
681 Posts
.30cal brushes will work for any .30cal bullet, whether it's a .30-06, .308, .30-30, or whatever. From what I've seen, it can be a bit tough to push it through the first time or two, possibly from packing grease on the inside of the barrel. This might be the problem you've got, because it happened to me a couple of times. Just push harder.

I'd recommend an oil-soaked patch on a spear-tip jag run through the barrel before you put the brush through. Push the patch through, and let it sit for a bit so the oil can do its thing. Then, push the brush through several times before running a couple more patches through. This approach seems to work really well for me on new or really dirty barrels.

Congrats on the new rifle! Good choice on the rifle, and excellent choice on the caliber. You'll probably get a lot of use out of it.

And remember.... the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Craig,
If you're trying to push a dry brush through a dry bore,yeah it's gonna get stuck or seem like it don't wanna go. Make sure that all parts are lubed. Everything works better slick! Be sure to push the brush all the way through also.The bristles on the brush will flex some,but not to much until the brush has been used some.

HWD

Congrats on your purchase! Let us know how it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.