stupid...simple question

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by craigc, Jun 22, 2005.

1. craigc

craigc Guest

Ok, heres the deal. I bought a 700 adl in 30.06 recently and i bought a gun cleaning kit so when i shoot it for the first time i will be able to clean it. I was looking for the wire brush to clean the inside of the barrel and i couldn't find 30.06, but i saw a 30. caliber rifle brush so i got that. So, i get home and i cleaned my 20 gauge cause i went and shot it last week and i also decided to try my new wire brush for the 30.06 to make sure it fit... well i stick it in there and its really tight and i can't even get the brush in half way.. so im guessing i got the wrong brush, but the question is, what caliber brush should i be using? because i thought 30.06 falls under 30. caliber rifle? or is that 30/30? anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for your help.[/u]

2. Reid

Reid Guest

should work just fine, push harder. Unless there is something else stuck in the barrel.

3. wired

wired Guest

.30cal brushes will work for any .30cal bullet, whether it's a .30-06, .308, .30-30, or whatever. From what I've seen, it can be a bit tough to push it through the first time or two, possibly from packing grease on the inside of the barrel. This might be the problem you've got, because it happened to me a couple of times. Just push harder.

I'd recommend an oil-soaked patch on a spear-tip jag run through the barrel before you put the brush through. Push the patch through, and let it sit for a bit so the oil can do its thing. Then, push the brush through several times before running a couple more patches through. This approach seems to work really well for me on new or really dirty barrels.

Congrats on the new rifle! Good choice on the rifle, and excellent choice on the caliber. You'll probably get a lot of use out of it.

And remember.... the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Craig,
    If you're trying to push a dry brush through a dry bore,yeah it's gonna get stuck or seem like it don't wanna go. Make sure that all parts are lubed. Everything works better slick! Be sure to push the brush all the way through also.The bristles on the brush will flex some,but not to much until the brush has been used some.

HWD

Congrats on your purchase! Let us know how it does.

5. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Craig,

Obviously, what is needed is a back up 30 06 in the event the bore cleaning becomes tiresome. Good advice already given. In fact, I'd just call it broken, buy another rifle, and then clean both of them! :!: :D

TXVA

6. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Had the same problem with a 7mm brush in my 7mm-08 and the problem was that particular brush was just too big. I picked a different brand o' brush in 7 mm and was back in business.

7. craigc

craigc Guest

thanks alot.. ill try oiling the barell.

8. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

It should be able to work fine but if not, try buying another brand.