Success on Saturday!

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by huntswithdogs, Nov 21, 2005.

1. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

After a cool morning in the stand, I got a 6 pointer. The squills and chipmunks had been making more noise than a pet parakeet all morning and when the turkeys joined in I got REALLY frustrated. Season on the turkeys had end the prior weekend and my 25/06 was a little much for the squills,so I just had to sit there,fuming.
    I heard another squill directly behind my stand. I easied around and looked down on a nice 6 point "squill". He came off off the bank into the logging road andlooked up at me. I must not have looked too threatening 'cause he walked right by the stand not 10 yds away. I let him get up the road a bit and whistled lightly.He stopped,turned slightly and looked over his left shoulder. The rifle cracked and his chin hit the ground before any thing else.

This was the first deer that I've killed with this rifle. The rifle was an Encore,chambered for 25/06,with a 26" heavy barrel. The ammo was a home grown load. 120 gr Sierra HP in front of 55grs of H1000.
    I went home Sat.nite and changed barrels. This Thursday,I'm hoping to get another with the 300winmag barrel!

HWD

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Good time hunting and a fun gun to own with all the choices they offer!! :D

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Have ya ever shot one of these in 300WinMag? Kinda surprising when that trigger breaks! What's scary is that they make up ot 416 in this thing. That REALLY oughta be a handfull. It'll probably cross your eyes and dot your tees!

HWD

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Which 416...I need a new coyote rifle? I hope its a Rigby, as I just bought a few boxes of Federal Safari with 410 Woodleigh solids. They don't do so much pelt damage as do the softs.

I've been using my small bore since I sold my Rigby last year. The 300 solids in my 375 H&H have worked well so far, but I feel I need just that extra bit of margin a 416 gives, and my 458 Win is out being re-chambered to 458 Lott...we have pretty tough 'yotes here in Northern Nevada. :shock:

HWD,

I wish I had drawn a resident deer tag here and took home a nice 6 pointer (three pointer out here). :mrgreen:

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Update:

No success with the 300 yet, but I shot a doe with another "unblooded" gun Sat.evening. I figger this'll be the last one shot with this particular gun.
    She showed up just as I was getting ready to climb down from my stand. I underestimated her for distance AND size(Levergun, I feel your pain after reading your trip results). I shot under her the first shot. OOPS! She ran right at me and I missed her running at about sixty yards. I whistled and she slammed on the brakes! Last shot got her. What was I shooting,you may be wondering? A 12 ga with slugs. I've had it since the early 90's and tell myself that I'm gonna take it every season. Never did because my 243 begs to be taken instead. Well,this year I ignored her and took the Mossberg. I should have listened. I wouldn't have torn up as much if I'd listened.
    If you've never shot a deer with a 1oz slug,let me fill ya in on something. There's going to be a MASSIVE hole. Like I said before,once is all it took for me. Now, there was no problem finding blood and she didn't go but 30 yds, but DANG! It probably didn't help that she wasn't a BOD(big ole doe). My brother got all excited because he's gotta deer now with hams that he can throw on his smoker in one piece. I just hope he remembers who provided them,and gives me a giggle before they get done. MMMMMMM GOOOOD!

HWD

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Luv2,
    Sorry about not repling earlier on the 416. It is a Rigby. You probably wouldn't want one though. They wanna try to tame it down and add a factory muzzlebrake on it. On a side note ..I did see a guy shoot one of these on a hunting show here a while back. He was hunting BIG bears in Alaska. When he shot ,his forward placed foot came off the ground. Killed the bear but dang....

The draw system, that you guys have out west, isn't fair to the residents. If ya live in a certain state you should be able to hunt it for whatever. Here you buy your license and get 6 deer immediately. Pay $12.50 more and get 2 doe permits for use on private property. Maybe we've just got too many deer and ya'll ain't got enough.

HWD

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

hwd,

When does your season end? Is it hard for out of staters to find somewhere to hunt?

How about bird hunting...quail? ruffed grouse?

L2S

8. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Deer season,with modern firearms, ends the first Saturday in Jan. for the eastern half of the state. Blackpowder and archery are open state wide til then also. Modern firearm season is out here in the western half of the state.
    Licenses are over the counter and no problem at all to get.

Here in the western end of the state,we have huge amounts of National forest land and State Game Management areas that in my opinion aren't used that much. Most hunters get 300 to 500 yds off the road and thats where they hunt. One area, not 20 minutes from my house,is so rough that most folks don't even hunt it anymore. I talked to a Wildlife Biologist recently that told me deer are dieing of old age in there! I was in there recently,running beardogs during chase season and found a shed that was unbelievable.

The ruffedgrouse are around,they're just spotty. Populations have been on the down side for a number of years. Quail on this side of the state are pretty slim also. Any quail I hunt are in preserve settings now days. I've not hunted them in the eastern half,but I've heard that wild birds are out there.

HWD

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

hwd,

Thanks for the info. I may have to pack up and fly out your way. The rough area near you interests me!!! Almost all our deer hunting is is in rough and high country, so it would be "business as usual" for me. I like the idea of being in there alone, except for critters. :D

Merry Christmas,
    L2S

10. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Its listed as a "wilderness area" in the Va hunting regs. It covers around 8000 acres,I think. If you can pull it up on the Va. website, look for Havens Game Refuge. It covers most of a mountain and the hollows are like a giant kept sticking an axe in the mountain. Deep and Steep! Its not like ya'lls mountains out west. Ours are lower and rounder.

Let me know if ya start out this way.
    Oh yeah, its listed in the Va topo maps also. Look for Roanoke County.

HWD