Swapping bullets from different catridges

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by The_Cook, Sep 25, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Okay i just had an idea and I want to know if it would work :D

Will a bullet taken from a 308 winchester load into a 30-06 case? :?

Basically the reason why I ask is because I just found out about govermant surplus ammunition, and it's dirt cheap. :D I found one deal that basically had 1000 bullets for $40. :shock: And another deal 500rnds ammunition for $60. And I started thinking to myself... 308 winchester aka 7.62 NATO bullets or whole ammunition is being sold for dirt. I wonder if I could pull the bullets and reload them for my 30-06. 8) And if the 308 winchester bullet can be reloaded to the 30-06 can I pretty much do the same with any of the bullets within that same family? i.e. 30 m1 carbine, 300WSM, 30-30, etc. Cause if that is the case that allows for an even bigger selection of bullets to choose from. Or am I missing a piece to the big puzzle? :?

That and the idea of firing a tracer round out of a bolt action sorta tickled me. I have a feeling it would ruin my barrel. :lol:

Only reason why I ask is because I poured through my three reloading manuals and did a search online and came up with bupkiss. :x But I was able to find the dimensions to the 30-30 bullet and it's diameter is .308. And the Krag I think is .309. :D
    .001 increase in diameter of a bullet shouldn't make much a difference right? Or will the bullet get stuck in the barrel and I fall to the ground holding my face screaming, best case scenario. :x :x :x

Any opinions and info as usual will be greatly appreciated

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Are you talking about loaded ammo? For those prices it sounds more like pulled bullets only, especially the 1000 bullets for $60. If the 500 for $40 is loaded ammo, it would not be worth the effort to pull the old bullets and dispose of the remaining components just to get the bullets. Other than the 30 M1, I don't use military pulled bullets any more. I find accuracy to be fair at best using them as they are not built to the same tolerances as sporting bullets not to mention match ammo. I may fire surplus loaded ammo for informal plinking but I can reload quality, accurate ammo for not much more and have better results. The .308 and the 30/06 have the same diameter so can use the same bullets. That also goes for the 300 Savage, 30/40 Krag, the various 300 mags, etc. The 30 M1 carbine is of .308" also though the light 110 gr bullets are not much use at the higher velocities attainable by virtually all other 30 caliber rounds. Accuracy has been terrible and the soft point and hollow point bullets pretty much fragment on impact. Loaded at magnum velocities and they will vaporize coming out of the muzzle. The same considdrations should be given towards using 30/30 bullets in the other cartridges. Other than in the 307 Winchester, the use of these bulles is generally not recommended for smilar reasons as above. I don't mind seeing others do so, I got a great deal on a pre-'64 Win M-70 in 300 H&H magnum because of this. The previous owner was loading the 170 gr 30/30 bullets in the gun and was getting "groups" around 4" at 50 (yes fifty) yards. In a fit, he sold the gun to me as is for $200 including Weaver scope, case and what ammo he had on hand. Looking at the ammo I noticed the bullets he was using and bought some factory to use. With proper ammo I got slighty over 1" at 100 yards and offered to sell it back to him for $250. He refused so I sent it down the road for a bit over $800.
    I must say I find your enthusiasm amusing, it reminds me of myself when younger. Commonalities are finding the way of putting in the most work for minimal gains at best. In time you will discover this yourself.

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I figuered as much about my hunch. .308 is .308 is .308. When I woke up this morning and had some time to mul over it myself I came to the same conclusion, "That pulling the bullets from the brass would be a major pain" but "The loose bullets would be great for plinking".

Only question is Brass is brass right? If I use a military bullet I don't have to use military brass do I?

4. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Brass is not brass, military brass is much thicker than that for civilian use and there are even differences between the various manufacturers not to mention lots. If one used military brass, one must reduce powder charges and full length resizing and trimming would be needed. In any event, bullets pulled from military cartridges would work just fine in comercial cases. In my experience they haven't been nearly as accurate as commercial bullets so I have found no use for them. If I had an FAL or Garand and was just looking for ammo to throw down range I might be interested but since an accurate load is important to me I buy commercial bullets in bulk for not much more.

5. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

If the deal is for loaded ammo where you'll have to pull the bullets, may be more work than what it is worth. Military rounds would likely have a crimp and be a pain to pull plus I generally get better accuracy from soft points that FMJ bullets. I use a collet puller for those occasional reloading boo-boos (no crimp) and it is not too bad to use. For crimped rounds, a kinetic puller would be needed and I'd venture that you'll go through a couple of those for a large number of rounds.

6. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

The idea isn't for hunting or serious range applications, just informal entertainment plinking. If pulled military bullets can do 5" I'll be happy :D

7. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

You can buy milsurp projectiles inexpensively on line. You can also buy surplus powder.

If you are thinking of pulling bullets and inserting another, be very careful. The powder charge may not be appropriate for the new bullet. Better to use the old powder as fertilizer.

Being frugal is okay, but not to the point of being unsafe or stupid. Your vision and life aren't worth the pennies saved.

8. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Thank you much for the concern mule. They sell surplus powder to?