TARGET question.

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by NC RIDER13, May 3, 2005.

1. NC RIDER13

NC RIDER13 Guest

I have a savage .223 26" bbl varmint and handload some 40gr. nosler for it. I shoot 100 yard tight groups. but after the 4th shot they start to walk in a line away from the center of the target. What causes this?
    I also did the same w/ 55gr and 53gr.

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

NC,

Generally,when this happens,there is ahigh spot on your stock. As the barrel heats up,it swells slightly and starts to push to one side. You may also check your screws for tightness.

HWD

3. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

Yep. Agree with Huntswithdogs. Savage "free floats" their barrels, but sometimes not enough. If you take a one dollar bill and slide it between the barrel and stock, you should be able to slide that dollar all the way to the base of the the stock. If it binds up, that'll be your trouble spot. As the barrel heats with repeated firings, the metal swells, just enough to touch the stock. This changes the vibration of the barrel, hense throwing the shot off. Usually some sanding will relieve the pressure. But don't go nuts with the file.

4. NC RIDER13

NC RIDER13 Guest

THANKS, I will try that. I asked a shooting friend of mine and he said the same thing.

5. mak48

mak48 Guest

Yea I have the same problem with my ruger, but ruger designs the rifles like this. Its never been a major issue for me though. Good job on picking that up though guys.