Thinking about a new rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Anonymous, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle for Bear hunting. I'm looking for an inexpensive .30-06 "package rifle". I know Remy and Savage make them,my question is - is one any better/different than the other? Any other manufactures have theser package deals? I might look for something used but I think these package guns are about the same or sometimes a little less than a used one.

Thanks for any help.
    P.S. dont tell my wife !

2. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

id go with the savage im not sure which remington ur lookin at I assume the 710 which is an absolute cheap piece of crap on the other hand if ur looking at a 700ADL thats a nice rifle I wouldnt hesitate to go w/ one. savage makes nice guns If ur lookin for a package deal go w/ them, the remington 710 is crap but if i were you id look into a 700ADL finding decent scopes doesnt cost a whole lot of money anymore. redifeld makes nice scopes and ive heard good things about nikon and the leupold rifleman line looks pretty good. I hope this helps let us know what you end up w/

Aaron

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Can't comment on the Rem 710 but I carry a Savage package (caliber 30-06) in the woods and range and it is my favorite rig even though it is an older model and does not have the Accutrigger. Initially I bought it for the price but quickly came to appreciate its first rate performance while the looks have really grown on me. Even with the Simmons scope that came with it, this is now my favorite rifle and the accuracy is superb. My other 2 Savages have the new Accutrigger and it only enhances the experience IMO.

Safe shooting.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes I was refering to the Remy 710. Looks like people around here like the Savage rifles. I have an old Savage 340 in 30-30. I want something a little bigger for Bear.

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Winchester has a package gun too, though I went with the Savage myself. There are a number of guns on the market at a reasonable price and most will be a good choice. I really like that Savage/Stevens in 30/30, I pick them up to start my nieces and nephews out on. With the 170 gr bullets, they have done well on bears as long as they don't shoot them in the shoulder blades.

6. grimel

grimel Guest

I prefer Savage, I'm a lefty and the bang for the buck is Savage. But, in this case it is as much scorn for the 710.

Put another way, IMO, you'd be better off buying a $60 mil-surp Mos-Nan in 7.62x54R (between 308 and 30-06) with the most basic peep sight than a 710 package. Remington should be ashamed to sell such a POS.

7. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

I feel or at least felt the same way about the 710's, they feel like crap in your hands and the action is atrocious. However, I have shot some of these and all were good shooters. They were all accurate enough. I fell in with most that go strictly on hearsay and opinions from others and grew a dislike for these rifles. There are a couple of people on this site that like theirs and seem to be confident in them. The guys out at the gun club that have bought these rifles are pleased with them and they have not had problems with them. I don't have one of them and probably won't but I don't buy Ruger rifles anymore and alot of people really like them. A kid in my sons scout troop has a 30-06 in the 710 and he and his dad are pleased with it. His dad, I would venture to say, has more practical knowledge on guns and ballistics than most anyone on this site or any other. He makes his living with his guns the hard way every day. The guy can shoot too, but if I could shoot as much as he does I would be a lot better. His weapon on the job is a Rem 308 and if things get really bad he has a little 50 as he says to really reach out and penetrate.

I think the 710 has gotten a lot of bad press maybe, but again I don't have one, just shot other peoples. I do feel like Remington did their self some harm in putting this gun out like it is. I just can't get over the action or the bolt but that is me and my opinion.

8. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

the action on the 710 is like rubbing rubber on sandpaper soaked with super-glue

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It sounds like Remy is lowering their standard with this model 710 and Spartain shotgun lines.

10. grimel

grimel Guest

It's not exactly rare to need a mallet to open the action on the 710.

"A kid in my sons scout troop has a 30-06 in the 710 and he and his dad are pleased with it. His dad, I would venture to say, has more practical knowledge on guns and ballistics than most anyone on this site or any other. He makes his living with his guns the hard way every day...His weapon on the job is a Rem 308 and if things get really bad he has a little 50 as he says to really reach out and penetrate. "

Okay, so you are implying he's a sniper/sharpshooter someplace. That gives him a high level of knowledge about his rifle shooting his load. Appealing to a "higher" authority should at least be a higher authority. Not that it matters.

Just how much have these 710's people are so happpy to have been shot?

So a 710 can shoot fairly well, big deal, how many rifles made today can't? How long will they last? What is the quality of the action? What is the quality vs other rifles at that price point??

The 710 is far lacking in all points vs it's price point competition - period. So someone is happy with it? BFD, people were happy with Yugos and Chevettes.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The 710 is not all bad, they do shoot OK from what I have seen. They are selling. I, like a member above, think they have gotten somewhat of a bad reputation due to the grapevine. I don't care for the Savage but Grimel is the great WOLA (worlds only living authority) on guns so I am going with him. IF Grimel says it, it must be true because his opinion is the only one that counts.

12. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

hey everyone, look, a guest that does not have the balls to use a real name

13. wired

wired Guest

I'd also look at a Ruger M77 Mark II. The action on it is extremely good (if it fails to extract and eject, you may as well put the rifle down because the world is coming to an end). Factory trigger pull is acceptable for anything other than serious target work. It's a tad heavy, but I like that in a hunting rifle. Mine has almost no creep. Really good balance, especially with the Hogue stock. I'd trust this rifle with my life anyday.

14. grimel

grimel Guest

Mr Guest,

He asked about Rem and Savage. I know it's hard for you, but some of us actually have more than one gun and play with every gun we can get in our grubby paws. A 710 does not compare to any rifle at it's price point - note I did not say Savage. It doesn't compare to the similarly priced Win, Weatherby, Howa, or 700 ADL. Quality wise it's at the back of the field. Savages are NOT noted for smooth operation; they are smoother than a 710. The Win/Weath/700 are much smoother at the same price point. The 710 came out and "every" mag gave it rave reviews. They hit the market and started getting played with by everyday people. They don't quite add up to the 4 color glossy hype. The same quality level (and performance) can be had in a NEF Handi with a better scope for less $$.

15. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

What the heck, if someone likes their 710 or 700 or 77 or 70 or 7xxx, to each his/her own and more power to them no matter what they shoot.

16. I think the 710 gets a bad rap from gunsmiths. They cant make money on them cant upgrade on them and after a few years of shooting it will probaly be cheaper to replace it then to fix it. I think of all the research I did on it when I was looking at them 95 % of the people who actually had one liked them 99% of the people who didnt like them never fired one. No I didnt get one I got a winchester instead the 710 didnt have the cal. I was looking for. hey lets have fun shoting not putting guys down for what they shoo :p t.

17. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Grimel I too looked at the 710,the price was making me take a look,one stroke of the bolt made me put it down.If you are willing to lapp the bolt raceway,lapp the locking lugs and lug recesses,it would feel pretty good,but why?Like Grimel stated,there are plenty guns that arn't that much more money and are smooth operators.Since they lock up so tight they are most likely accurate guns but the rifle buyer has never had it so good,there are alot of good buys out there that are accurate and smooth.I almost bought a used 710 to smooth it out but it sold before I could get the funds straight.In fact,I am in pretty bad shape as most of you guys know,but I hear that our savings account is in worse shape than my back.Oh well,I put a remington CDL 35 Whelen on lay a way with Kelsey with High Mountain Hunting Supply,I never knew it was so easy to buy a gun through the mail and Kelsey will go the extra mile for you to get the rifle you want.It may take me awhile but I will have it in a few months.Now that is a smooth rifle.Drop-Shot

18. berettashotgun

berettashotgun Guest

The winchester "package" rifle at wally world in 270 wsm is sure calling my name, I mean REALLY calling my name.......$400

19. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Berettashotgun you need to get one and report about the accuracy.I had my eye on one but will wait till I hear about their accuracy from you.Somebody has to be the first,and I'm a impressed about the 270wsm.Drop-Shot